I really dislike those Chicken Soup for the <insert: mother/teen/daughter/son/diabetic/etc> Soul books. I’m just not that person who finds encouragement in them. I don’t like to read quotes helping me relate to my peers/mom/dad/etc or stories to make me feel that tomorrow will be a better day.
That random fact aside, this chicken soup does heal the soul. I think a good soup has a much better effect than some book. Esp when it is this soup. Sure, it is just chicken soup but this reminds me of all the times my mom made it for me when I was sick. I would eat it with rice, cover every square inch of it with cheese, and curl up on the sofa. I really think chicken soup is so much better eaten on the sofa covered in a blanket.
Anyway, chicken soup is easy. Chicken, water (broth is better) veggies, seasonings- just cook. I think the hardest part is getting the whole chicken(s) out without burning yourself/making a mess and impatiently waiting for it to cool to tear it apart. When my dad makes chicken or turkey soup be makes tiny meatballs that he adds in there. I’m not a delicate person and I typically destroy the meatballs when I stir up the soup- I’m a wreck.
Chicken Soup2 whole chickens 2 lbs of carrots 2 bunches of celery 4 yellow onions 2-4 plum tomatoes diced/1 can of diced tomatoes chicken broth salt & (white) pepper
1. Remove bag from inside chicken, rise chicken throughly. Trim excess fat/skin from chicken. (This makes less fat for you to remove from soup later)
2. Peel carrots and slice into 1/4″ thick pieces.
3. Cut celery into 1/4″ pieces.
4. Slice onion into thin slivers.
5. Dice tomato into small pieces. If using canned diced tomatoes, drain juice.
6. Combine chicken and veggies into a large pot. Cover with broth*.
7. Bring to low boil and cook for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and remove chickens, allowing them to cool.
8. Discard skin and tear apart the chickens, adding meat back into soup.
9. Skim fat from soup. It is easiest when the soup has completely cool, even better after it has been in the fridge for a while.
Serve with rice, noodles, or pastina. Grated cheese is a plus 🙂
*Broth is already seasoned so it adds more flavor but water is fine, just season soup to taste.
must add celery and more broth
18 quart pot
there is a funny story about this- I’ll explain one day
Cooled and ready for the deep freeze
Thanks for visiting. Please leave me a comment to provide some feedback. I appreciate all the comments I receive.