I love when things just come together perfectly. Like mac and cheese or milk and cookies. Well this is a simple summer recipe that does just that.
I get giddy when my magazines arrive in the mail. I don’t get many so when they come it really makes my day. I go through them end to end and then I go through again with tiny post it’s. In my most recent arrival from Bon Appetit I flagged a Watermelon-Tomato Salad with Crumbled Feta Cheese and Green Onion-Lemon Dressing. It was simple and I new it would make for a great side dish to compliment the hot and humid days we have been having up here. And last week, when my friends Natalie and Jason came over for grilled quesadilas I knew I had to make this salad. Glad they agreed to the idea. 🙂
I used the recipe in the magazine as the structure to the salad but I did my usual modifications to make it ‘my own’. Horatiki is one of my favorite things, ever. So I had to make spin this recipe to it would a touch like horatiki. I added some red onion and diced seedlss cucumbers to amp of the flavor, while going along with the texture of the salad. One of the biggest things about Feta is that I really think you should only buy blocks of it. Crumbled feta seems to be too crumbled for my taste. Plus I really think that feta that has been stored in a brine is much more flavorful. So, getting to the point, go out get some fresh ingredients and enjoy!
Watermelon, Tomato and Feta Salad
- 4 ounce block of feta
- 1 pound of watermelon, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound of tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes or halve grape tomatoes
- 1 seedless cucumber, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- Sliced red onion, amount desired
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Combine all prepared fruits and vegetables in a large bowl.
- Prepare dressing, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine dressing with the fruit and vegetables, toss gently.
- Crumble the feta over salad.
Inspired by Bon Appetit
*All photo credits go to my friendJason*
Thanks for visiting. Please leave me a comment to provide some feedback. I appreciate all the comments I receive.