This Very Cheesy Jalapeño Popper Dip is a party favorite. Skip the tedious poppers and mix up this jalapeno popper dip- easy & delicious. Spicy too!
Post from 2/3/2011, photos updated 2/25/18
Post Contains Affiliate Links. Read my full disclosure HERE
One of my favorite foods to eat while watching football is a jalapeno popper. I love the crunch from the outside breading, the heat from the jalapeno, and creamy, cheesy filling. The perfect bite!
See, I love jalapeno poppers, except I hate to make them. Why? Well, they are so damn time consuming.
But the biggest issue is the need for gloves, which I never have. So I once cored out 30+ jalapenos once and my hands felt fine. I thought ‘jeeze these recipes that suggest gloves are by dumb people who forget to wash their hands and then touch their eyes!’ But soon my hands started to itch. Then burn, then burn really badly. In the end my hands hurt for 3 days. No joke. Lesson learned. Jalapeno-1 Nicole-0
Why did I just bore you with that stupid story? To prove why you need to make this awesome Jalapeno Popper Dip! Don’t waste your time making individual poppers and having to worry about having gloves.
Make this dip because it is amazing, easy, and no gloves required. Yes, you handle the jalapenos, but briefly and the majority of the work involved is with a sharp knife. Take that you burning evil, but amazing, jalapeno!
You may also be asking yourself why there is an onion in this dip since there are no onions in jalapeno poppers. The onion is to add a bit more texture to the dip as well as some sweetness. Onions take on a great flavor. So, while it is not traditional, it’s vital to the jalapeno popper dip.
I buy jalapenos in the summer when they are in season, and cheap, and freeze them. I find that this is a good way of using those frozen jalapenos. The fact that their skin gets a bit wrinkly during the big freeze doesn’t matter because they are just going to be chopped up. So in the summer when you have more peppers than you know what to do with, throw them in a baggy and freeze until that you need a great jalapeno popper dip in a hurry.
I buy tons of jalapenos in the summer when they are in season, and cheap, and then freeze them. I find that this is a good way of using those frozen jalapenos. The fact that their skin gets a bit wrinkly during the big freeze doesn’t matter because they are just going to be chopped up. So in the summer when you have more peppers than you know what to do with, throw them in a baggy and freeze until that you need a great jalapeno popper dip in a hurry.
This dip is great for anytime you need to quickly whip up a dip for a movie, game night, to watch a big game, and just because it’s just your average Tuesday night. But, be sure to invite friends over when you make this awesome Very Cheesy Jalapeño Popper Dip. Or you might just eat the whole thing, and I can’t be held responsible for that. I did warn you about how epic this dip is.
- 2 (8oz) blocks of cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 cup of shredded cheese (options: Monterrey jack, mozzarella, cheddar, Parmesan)
- 1 1/2 Cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons
- 3-4 jalapenos
- 1 Cup diced onion
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise together in a bowl. Then add the shredded cheese and gently incorporate. Set aside.
- In a skillet, gently toast the panko bread crumbs with the butter. Set aside.
- Slice the stems off of the jalapenos, then slice again in half, length wise. Remove seeds. Dice the 2 jalapenos.
- In a 12" cast iron skillet, melt the butter. Saute the chopped onion on medium-low. Stir occasionally.
- When the onions are translucent, add the diced jalapenos. Warm the peppers until they are vibrant green color, approximately 2 minutes.
- Add cream cheese mixture and mix well.
- Lightly cover with the toasted panko bread crumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until bread crumbs are golden brown and dip is bubbly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 248mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g