Price and I recently had a party at our place for my birthday. It was centered around a Mexican theme so I’ll be posting a few recipes from that that works well for a fiesta or just a great gathering. Enjoy!
Pico de Gallo is one of my favorite things to have on hand for topping on our dinners because it’s a great addition to chicken, steak, pork, or even a salad. But I really love to share at a party. Chips and dip are classic party foods and there is a great reason for it. They are filling, great finger foods, and can be centrally located on a coffee table while people are gathered around.
I much prefer poco de gallo over a jarred salsa. There is no comparison really. Pico de gallo has such a fresh, vibrant taste from all the fresh vegetables in the mix. The lime juice really helps all the flavors intensify as well. I feel that little home made touches like this really make a meal so much people. Also when you serve this to guests they notice the homemade touch.
With the Super Bowl coming up this weekend this would be great to throw together for the big game, but really making a big batch works well for any sporting event or gathering, especially Cinco De Mayo. I suggest serving it with some tortilla chips, corn chips, pita chips, or celery at your next party.
Party Sized Pico de Gallo
Serves 20-25 people
- 4 pounds of Roma tomatoes
- 2 large red onions
- 4-6 cloves minced garlic
- 5-6 jalapeños
- large handful (approximately half a bunch) of cilantro
- juice of 2 limes
- salt and pepper
- Dice both onions and put into a large bowl.
- Remove the tops of the tomatoes. Halve the tomatoes length wise, halve again. Remove the seeds by sliding you knife along the inner membrane. Cut the flesh into long strips and the run your knife through the strips for a small dice. Add tomatoes to the onions.
- Add the garlic.
- Mince the jalapeños by cutting off their tops, halving them, removing the seeds (optional), and running your knife along the pieces until they are uniformly small. Add to the mixture in the bowl.
- Take your fresh cilantro and evenly chop the pieces, stems included. Add to the mixture.
- Squeeze 2 limes over the mixture. Gently mix the pico de gallo.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Give another quick toss to incorporate.