Can we just take a minute and go “Whoa! How is it October already?!?!”
Yep, it’s the first weekend in October and I’m still trying to wrap my head around it. How is it already fall? We’re speeding up to Halloween, Thanksgiving, and before you know it a jolly fat man will be falling down your chimney to give you some presents in exchange for some cookies and milk.
These mini corn dog muffins are just one way to straddle the seasons. You see, they remind me of summer time carnivals and BBQ’s but at the same time they are the perfect food for football season. Well, any really sporting event watching, like NASCAR, women’s figure skating, or even curling. Hey, you never know…
It’s just that these mini corn dog muffins that I made for this week’s edition of Sprint Cup Snacks are just so dang good and pop-able. Something very important to consider for game time nosh, like Fried Pickles or Bang Bang Shrimp. Plus, they are soooo simple to make since they take about 10 minutes total prep time, so from start to finish you’ll be enjoying these bad boys in about 25 minutes.
This weekend’s race at Kansas is edging us closer towards the Sprint Cup championship race in mid November. And you have to admit it’s definitely been an interesting Chase so far. (Well, unless you are a Kasey Kahne fan, like myself :-/) I’m looking forward to totally relaxing on Sunday while watching the race while noshing on these mini corn dog muffins.
Mini Corn Dog Muffins
Makes 48 mini corn dog muffins
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 8-10 all-beef hot dogs, cut into 1″ bites
- ketchup and mustard
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray mini muffin tins with non-stick spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the baking soda, cornmeal, flour, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar. Whisk in the eggs, honey,and buttermilk.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in two batches. Mix until just incorporated
- Spoon 1 generous Tablespoon of batter into each mini muffin cup. Gently place one piece of hot dog in the middle of each cup.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes, or until cornbread is golden brown. Cool in mini muffin tin for 5 minutes before removing and serving with ketchup and mustard. Store leftovers in the refrigerator, and re-heat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds before serving.
Slightly adapted from Iowa Girl Eats