Finding quick, easy recipes is my jam right now.
I’ve been attacking Pinterest like crazy looking for quick/easy dinners like one pot dinners, slow cooker meals, quick pasta dishes, and salads. I’m so looking forward to all the salads we are going to be eating once the weather warms up. Yes, we eat plenty of salads in the winter but we just get all wild and crazy in the spring and summer. Ah, greens bliss. Plus they are super quick meals to toss together which is key right now.
See it all comes down to this… I leave work at 4.00 to get Autumn by 5.00 at Daycare. Ah, the pleasures of slow public transportation! We typically are home by 5.05 so that we can watch the Pioneer Woman together while I feed her or play with her, of course after I quickly run the dog out in the front yard to pee. Everything feels like it’s down to the minute. If things go well I can get started on dinner around 5.30 or 6.00, all depending on how Autumn is doing and if I need to pump.
Things vary every day but the ultimate goal is to eat around 6.30 but if that doesn’t happen then we just go with the flow and eat when we eat. The most important thing is that we eat together and that it’s not take out or cereal all the time.
This chicken pot pie is a real winner for us. And the best part is that everything is a pantry staple. Well, at least in our house. Yay!
One of my aunts used to make the best chicken pot pie. Maybe it was a quick recipe like this or a made from scratch recipe but all I know is that I used to love eating it at their house. It was just such a great dinner.
Chicken pot pie just has a special place in my stomach… did you think I was gonna say heart? Well, sure it does but it’s even better in my stomach.
I really enjoyed how I had everything on hand, how affordable it was, and how easy it was to pull together. Sometimes I cook while I ‘wear’ Autumn in the Baby K’tan Baby Carrier and since this has little active time it’s a great meal for that since I’m not as fast with her snuggled up in front of me.
The best thing about this is that you can easily change things up to suit your taste preferences. The original recipe called for cream of chicken soup but I always prefer cream of mushroom soup over it so I used that. Feel free to add some spices or even cheese to kick things up too.
In 45 minutes you can have this from your fridge to your plate. And the best part is that 30 minutes of it is just letting it get awesome in the oven.
Impossibly Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Makes 6 servings
- 2 Cups chicken breast cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 oz bag of frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 generous pinch of black pepper
- 1 Cup Original Bisquick mix
- 1/2 Cup milk
- 1 egg
- Heat oven to 400ºF.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the chicken to the butter and cook through.
- While the chicken is cooking, microwave the frozen veggies and then drain off excess liquid.
- Mix the cooked chicken, vegetables, soup, and black pepper. Then pour into an ungreased 9″ glass pie plate.
- Stir together remaining ingredients with a fork until blended. Pour onto the chicken pie filling.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Slightly adapted from Betty Crocker Bisquick to the Rescue
Post contains affilate links