These right here are going to blow your mind. If you like mint and chocolate I suggest you run to your grocery store and get the few things you need to whip these suckers up. I love the mint and chocolate combination so these were very hard to resist. Thankfully I have an office full of taste testers so I was able get their feedback. I popped these suckers down at a table in the main corridor with a post it note and watched as people walked to the kitchen and stopped to take one, and then on their way back with their coffee they stopped for another sliver. Ohhh trouble!
As lame as it is, I made a resolution this year to enjoy holiday’s more. I have been extra grouchy about holidays and the effort they are so I have been trying to dive into the celebrations more this year. I will have fun damn it! So I am throwing myself at St. Patrick’s Day and all things green with wild abandon this year. So expect a few more St. Patrick’s Day themed recipes and posts leading up to the booze soaked day.
Back to the important things… brownies. The mint Oreos provide a lot of minty flavor, plus they provide a lot of moisture from the cream. I suggest baking them until they are just set so they are super fudgy. The frosting makes the over the top minty. I liked topping the brownies with crushed Oreos so it gave everyone a hint as to what was inside the brownies.
Mint Oreo Brownies with Mint Buttercream Frosting
Makes 16 brownies
For the Brownies:
- box of fudgy brownies with ingredients to prepare brownies
- 14 mint Oreos
For the Frosting:
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup of confectioners sugar, sifted
- green food coloring
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 crushed Oreos for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 and grease a 9×9 pan.
- Crush the 14 mint Oreos for the brownies.
- Prepare the brownie mix according to the directions on the box. Just prior to mixing complete, add in the Oreo cookie pieces and gently mix in.
- Bake the brownies according to the box, start checking at the minimum time and remove once a tooth pick in clean upon insertion and removal.
- Prepare the frosting by beating the butter until light and fluffy. Add in green food coloring, start with 12 drops and continue until the preferred shade of green is achieved. Add the peppermint extract and mix thoroughly. Lastly, slowly add the confectioners sugar and beat until the frosting is formed and is fluffy.
- Once the brownies have cooled completely, add frosting the top of the brownies. Garnish with crushed Oreo pieces.