This Sour Cream Pound Cake is a simple timeless dessert. This beautiful classic is loved by the whole family with some fresh fruit and a big dollop of whipped cream.
Sour Cream Pound Cake is a wonderfully tender cake that is buttery, rich, and perfect for a dessert for any occasion.
Oh man, I love pound cake! I love them all, even the once that from the freezer section. They are familiar and delightful.
This Sour Cream Pound Cake is a must make for dessert or to enjoy with some afternoon coffee.
It’s rich, the perfect balance of dense and airy, and had a great flavor.
Sour Cream Pound Cake
Most pound cakes use just 4 ingredients and have a pretty equal amount of ingredients, hence it’s name! But this delicious pound cake has the addition of sour cream, which make it’s so rich and gives it a great, slightly tangy flavor.
You’re going to enjoy the perfect slice of cake when you make this Sour Cream Pound Cake.
This Sour Cream Pound Cake starts with bringing 6 eggs and butter to room temperature.
Cream them together to butter and granulated sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. This will take a few minutes.
Add in the sour cream and vanilla extract to the creamed eggs and butter. If you want to use vanilla bean paste, you can do that so you can see beautiful specks of vanilla throughout the pound cake.
Once the sour cream and vanilla are added in, you’re going to begin to incorporate the dry ingredients and the eggs. This process is done by alternating them. Mix in a bit of the dry ingredients after you beat in an egg. Continue this process until
Prepare your bundt cake pan by spraying with a non stick cooking spray that has flour in it. Alternatively you can grease it and sprinkle the pan with a very light coating of flour. Once prepared, fill your bundt cake with the batter.
Bake the cake for 1 hours and 10 minutes to 1 hours and 20 minutes. Rotate it throughout so it evenly cooks or you’ll end up with a side that is overcooked and too dark.
Let cook for 20 minutes before inverting. Run a knife along the edges of the pan prior to flipping. Let it continue to cool before serving and enjoying.
Don’t save baking for a special occasion when making this Sour Cream Pound Cake is so easy. You’ll love it for afternoon treat or for dessert. Share some with others to make their day joyous too!
What is in Pound Cake?
Traditionally, Pound Cake is just 4 ingredients- butter, sugar, eggs, and flour. This version also incorporates sour cream, baking soda (the leavening agent), and vanilla extract.
There are various styles from all over the world, that can include milk, rum, raisins, or nuts.
Can this be made in a loaf pan?
Yes! This recipe uses a 10-Cup bundt pan, but you can also use 2 loaf pans. I suggest the 8.5 x 4.5 loaf pans as they can hold up to 6 cups of batter each so they are large enough to hold this batter.
How do I know my bundt pan is big enough?
Sometimes bundt pans aren’t labeled as 6- Cup or 10-Cup or 12 cup sizes, but you can easily find out how large they are. Just fill up your measuring cups and pour water in until it is full. Then you know the the volume of the bundt pan.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 Cups sugar
- 1 Cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract/vanilla bean paste
- 6 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare a 10-inch bundt or tube pan by spraying very generously with non-stick cooking spray. (I suggest baking spray with flour in the spray)
- In a small bowl, shift together the baking soda and flour; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla extract mixing until incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternating with the eggs, beating each egg 1 at a time.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hours 20 minutes.
- Let cool for 20 minutes before running a knife along the the edge of the bundt pan. Invert and remove the cake from the bundt pan, let continue to cool.
- Serve with any of the following- powdered sugar, berries, whipped cream, a drizzle of chocolate sauce or caramel sauce.
Adapted from Food.com
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.