So, I joined Snapchat.
I am still confused by it. I think I have figured out how to use it. I just don’t understand why. It’s kinda like Instagram but with disappearing pictures that have a 24 hour time limit. It just seems like random bits and pieces of things. Which I guess I get. It’s kinda like IG but even less serious. I dunno. It just makes me feel old. ha!!
That being said… BE MY FRIEND!!!!! I’m having fun sharing random pictures and videos of my exiting/boring/quick/slow/dull/colorful life. I’m at: iamahoneybee!!!
Anyway, I have a major thing for peaches in the summer.
I just can’t get enough of them. When I as pregnant they were the thing I craved all summer. I would eat several a day. I could right poetry about peaches. Maybe I could start with a haiku. 5-7-5. I dunno. Whatever, I’d just get distracted eating another peach.
So,I think these might just be my favorite waffles so far. For serious.
The waffles are packed full of flavor with the sour cream and the spices I added. Then they are topped off with a warm boozy peach compote. Oh, the combination of bourbon and peach is amazing. Then there is a big dollop of vanilla bean whipped cream. You can’t go wrong with whipped cream. And this one is loaded with vanilla.
I was thinking about these ever since I saw them on Brunch with Bobby, but I wanted to rework them after I ad made the Banana’s Foster Waffles. I think it worked out really well!
One thing to note about these waffles is that they are not that crisp. I love waffles with a crunchy, crisp surface, but I got over that with these as I really loved that they had so much flavor. It’s the sour cream and the nutmeg and ginger. It all worked together with the peaches and the whipped cream. However, if you are adamant about not having fluffy waffles and you need a crisp one then I suggest making the Best Buttermilk Waffles and just using milk instead of the buttermilk and adding in the nutmeg and ginger.
These will be your next summer time breakfast favorite!
Sour Cream Waffles with Bourbon Peach Compote and Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream
Makes 8 waffles, 4 servings
For the Waffles
- 1 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 Cup whole milk
- 1 Cup sour cream
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tablespoons pure sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Nonstick spray or melted unsalted butter, for the waffle iron
For the Bourbon Peach Compote
- 2/3 Cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 4 peaches, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoon2 bourbon
For the whipped cream
- 1 Cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon bourbon
- 1 vanilla bean
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and ginger.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the milk, sour cream, butter, sugar, vanilla extract and eggs in a medium bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk until just combined. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Spray your waffle iron spray with nonstick spray or brush with butter. Scoop out 1/3- 1/2 cup of the batter per waffle. Cook the waffles wait until the steam has stopped emerging from the cracks of the iron, about 4 minutes. Place on a cooling rack while you make the rest.
- While the waffles are cooking, begin the compote. In a large skillet, over medium heat, add the butter and brown sugar. Stir occasionally and cook until they have melted together and the mixture is bubbly.
- Add the peaches and bourbon and cook over medium-low heat until the peaches are soft, about 4-5 minutes.
- Make the whipped cream by beating the heavy cream and sugar until soft peaks are forming, add in the bourbon and scrapings from the vanilla bean. Continue to beat until you have stiff peaks.
- Serve your waffles by stacking 2 together on a plate, top with a quarter of the peach compote, and a big dollop of whipped cream. Enjoy!
Waffles inspired by Bobby Flay