Hocus Pocus Billy’s Grave Pudding Cups- a fun treat with layers of chocolate pudding, cookie crumbs, shredded coconut, & a cookie headstone.
This post and recipe was created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek! A fun Halloween themed blogging event that is sponsored by Dixie Crystals. Check out the great giveaway below!
Post Contains Affiliate Links. Read my full disclosure HERE
Hocus Pocus is one of my favorite Halloween movies so I naturally had to whip up a fun treat in it’s honor. It was fun to make and my kids gobbled their dessert right up. Everyone will love these because they are so tasty and really cute.
The headstone is marked with similar markings that are on William “Billy” Butcherson headstone.
Hocus Pocus Billy’s Grave Pudding Cups
These pudding cups are the cutest treat to enjoy when you are watching Hocus Pocus. Great for a party!
Billy’s Grave Pudding Cups take a bit of planning to prepare, about 3 1/2 hours total. That is not all active time, as the pudding needs to cool before you can assemble the pudding cups. While the pudding is cooling, you can prepare the rest of the elements in the dessert. Then it is just a really quick assembly process.
The chocolate pudding is prepared on the stove. This makes a really rich thick pudding. I think all pudding should be made thin way because it’s such a fast process- just 10 minutes and then some time to cool.
First, combine the dry ingredients in the pot, and give them a quick whisk to remove any lumps.
Then you will add the egg yolks and heavy cream. Whisk again until it is a smooth consistency.
Then you whisk in add the milk and simmer on the stove, stirring consistency. As the pudding cooks it will start to bubble and thicken. This process takes about 8 minutes.
Turn off the heat and then add the butter and chocolate chips. Once they have been melted and mixed in completely, add the vanilla extract and instant coffee powder. Give one final whisk to incorporate completely.
Divide the pudding into 2 bowls,. Put approximately 40% of the pudding into a bowl and the remaining amount into another. The amount with elss pudding will actually need to be in a larger bowl so that you have room to fold in the Cool-Whip later.
Now, it is time to make the headstones! Melt the chocolate chips and then put them melted chocolate into a sandwich bag. Cut the tiniest hole you can from the tip to pipe the design on to the cookies.
This is also the time to crush the Oreo cookies into in the food processor and to dye the coconut green to look like grass.
In the bowl that has the smaller amount of pudding, fold in the Cool Whip.
Assemble the pudding cups by quickly dividing the lighter color pudding into the cups, then add gummy worms. Top with the darker chocolate pudding.
Add the cookie crumbs to represent the dirt. Then sprinkle with the coconut to represent the grass.
You can add bone candies to make it seem like Billy is trying to climb out the dirt. The candy bone sprinkles from Sweets and Treats are a great option.
The last finishing touch is to add the cookie headstone to mark Billy’s grave.
Hocus Pocus Billy’s Grave Pudding Cups are a fun treat to enjoy when you are watching the movie. Dig into Billy’s grave, I mean this pudding!
Check out all of these great #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes for today
- Blood Splatter Cakesicles from Big Bear’s Wife
- Jack-O-Lantern Apple Slice Pops from Semi Homemade Recipes
- Jalapeno Mummy Poppers from Jen Around the World
- Halloween Brownies from Devour Dinner
- Candy Coated Strawberry Witches from The Redhead Baker
- Mummy Macarons from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Trifles from Cookaholic Wife
- Monster Mix from House of Nash Eats
- Candy Corn Carmel Thumbprint Cookies from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Pumpkin Spice Marshmallows from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Candy Corn Popcorn Balls from Sweet Beginnings
- Deviled Corn from Pastry Chef Online
- Deadly Dark Chocolate Layer Cake from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Ghostly Poptarts from An Affair from the Heart
For the Chocolate Pudding
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons dutch processed cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- 2 1/1 Cups whole milk
- 4 ounces 60% bittersweet chocolate chips
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 8-ounce package of Cool-whip, thawed
For the headstones
- 10 Milano cookies
- 1 ounce semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the Garnish
- 20-30 gummy worms
- 15 Oreos
- itty bitty bone sprinkles (optional)
- While the pudding cools, prepare the rest of the elements used in the assembly of the pudding cups.
- To make the headstones,
- To make the cookie dirt, crush the Oreos with a food processor. Set aside.
- To make the green grass, combine the coconut flakes and 2 drops of green food coloring. Set aside.
- Assemble the pudding cups by equally dividing the lighter pudding into the cups, then add 2-3 worms along the side of the cups into the pudding. Next, add the remaining pudding. Sprinkle with the cookie crumbles, then the coconut grass. Finish with 2 bones sprinkles and the cookie head stone. Enjoy!
Pudding adapted from The Cook's Illustrated Cookbook (pg 776)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 605Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 186mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 3gSugar: 44gProtein: 8g
Welcome!!! It is almost Halloween which means it is time for this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipe and giveaway event!!
#HalloweenTreatsWeek is a yearly Halloween blogging event that is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife & its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For the 4th annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 28 hauntingly talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week!
Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Prize #1 from Dixie Crystals
41 Pieces Silicone Bakeware Set
3 Piece Halloween Silicone Spatula Set
Nordic Ware Haunted Skull Cakelet Pana Rafflecopter giveaway
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsor to winner, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 11th – October 15th at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 1 (ONE) prize pack and therefore we will have a total of 1 (ONE) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing brand sponsors: Dixie Crystals that provided a prize pack for our giveaways and also sent some samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.