I recently went to a new farmer’s market, Somerville Winter Market, and I picked up a bottle of pure maple syrup from Vermont. I just needed something to do with it, besides pancakes and waffles. Luck would have it that I came across a contest that required maple syrup to be incorporated into the recipe.
I bugged Price endlessly about what I should make… something sweet? something savory? make a bread? cake? dinner entree? sandwich? what????? I feel I went a little safe with the oatmeal cookie but it just works so well. A little drizzle of maple syrup works perfectly over a bowl of steaming hot oatmeal. So I went with the “keep-it-simple-stupid” approach when I decided to make a cookie.
These cookies are soft, chewy and studded with crunchy walnuts. The maple flavor is pronounced without being ‘Hey I’m a Maple Cookie!’. The taste reminds me of fall days. It is the perfect kind of cookie to enjoy with a glass of milk or cup of tea.
Maple Walnut Oatmeal Cookies
yields 3 dozen cookies
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teapoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 4 cups quick cooking coats
- 1 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat over to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at at time, until combined. Add vanilla extract and maple syrup to butter mixture.
- Mix the flour mixture into the wet ingredients. Once the flour is incorporated, add the walnuts and oats and gently mix until combined.
- Spoon 1 1/2 inch rounds on to baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown. Let cookies cool for 2 minutes prior to removing from sheet (otherwise they will crumble), let cool on a rack.
Thanks for visiting. Please leave me a comment to provide some feedback. I appreciate all the comments I receive.
Gabby / Gypsy*Diaries says
I’m on a detox…. this post is pure mean! :DDDDD
wow, those look delicious!
Heather Brown says
I tried this recipe and it is so delicious!!!! I couldn’t stop eating them. This is a recipe you will use again and again.
Sooo delicious! Easy easy to make! MUST LOSE RECIEPE…
i heart mom charm bracelet says
I’ve been surfing online greater than 3 hours
nowadays, yet I never found any fascinating article like yours.
It is beautiful value enough for me. In my view, if
all web owners and bloggers made good content material as you probably did, the web will likely be much more helpful than ever before.
Lisa Fitzgerald says
My boyfriend has no idea how delicious his care package is going to be!
I made these and added some chopped dried cherries! So. Yummy.
Ooo great idea!!