These chewy Irish Coffee Blondies are perfect for St. Patrick’s Day. They have a great texture and are loaded up with coffee and whiskey. Enjoy!
Irish Coffee… yes please!
These Irish Coffee Blondies are the dessert to make for any St. Patrick’s Day party. Skip the typical green treat and go for one that is delightfully chewy and loaded up with Irish Coffee flavors.
Post Contains Affiliate Links. Read my full disclosure HERE
Can we keep a secret? Let’s not tell everyone how many of these blondies I’ve enjoyed. shhhh
I love all things related to St Patrick’s Day. The green beer, corned beef, shamrock shakes, and these blondies. So good!
Well, these might not be the traditional dessert you think of when you think of St. Patrick’s Day, but you definitely need to make them for your friendly leprechaun. Maybe he will give you some gold!
Chewy Irish Coffee Blondies
Sure, I love starting every St. Patrick’s Day with a Shamrock Shake (shhh, don’t judge!), but not everything needs to be green for the holiday. Wear some Kelly green this year, but skip some of the green foods.
Embrace the flavors of boozy Irish Coffee in these blondies. They are loaded up with coffee and whiskey!!! Woohoo!!!
Yes, you do put coffee grounds right into the batter. Be sure to use coffee that is not flavored because you wouldn’t want it tasting like hazelnut or french vanilla. I suggest a medium roast so it has a nice bold flavor without it overpowering the flavors of the almonds and the glaze,
After you pour the batter into the pan you top it with slivered almonds. They add a really great texture to the bar, but if you don’t have them on hand, then just skip them. No worries!
The bars are finished with a whiskey glaze. It’s simple with just a few ingredients, but it’s a must for the recipe.
When you are putting the glaze on the bars, I suggest putting it in a piping bag (a plastic sandwich bag works well) vs drizzling with a fork. Using the piping bag allows you to have a most consistent drizzle vs it being globby as it falls off the fork. You can certainly use the free from drizzle method, but using a piping bag makes for a prettier drizzle.
A little tip for ya- add some vanilla bean paste to give it a great flavor and pretty speckles.
I’m sure if you make these Irish Coffee Blondies for St. Patrick’s Day, you will have a luck filled day. And, if not, at least you are enjoying this great dessert.
For the Blondies
- 1 Cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons freshly ground coffee
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, skin on
For the Glaze
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoons Irish whiskey
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter/spray a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Line with parchment so that it overhangs on all sides. Butter parchment.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, melt the butter.
- Add the brown sugar, ground coffee, and salt to the melted butter; mix well.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, mixing well to combine. Stir in flour mixture until just combined.
- Pour batter into pan, and sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake 27 - 30 minutes, depending on how chewy you like your blondies (shorter baking time results in a chewier blondie).
- Let the blondies cool for 10-15 minutes, gently cut them into 24 squares (6 pieces by 4 pieces).
- Remove the pieces to a cutting board or a wired baking rack, with paper towels under it.
- To make the glaze, whisk together butter, sugar, and whiskey. Add more sugar or whiskey until glaze is thick but pourable.
- Using a spoon or a plastic bag with the tip cut off, drizzle glaze over blondies. Let the glaze dry 1 hour.
Blondies can be stored at room temperature in an air tight container for up to 2 days.
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 271Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 72mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 2g