When I was trying to think of the pie to make for this week I remembered how my best friend made this Chocolate Icebox Pie for their first Thanksgiving in Seattle this year. They enjoyed it so I wanted to give it a try myself.
I’m so glad I did since it was so good!!
I love pies with graham cracker crusts. And obviously a filling made of rich chocolate is gonna find a place into my heart. And stomach.
The pie doesn’t take much time or effort to make so it’s something that you can whip up quickly when you are craving some chocolate. The homemade graham cracker crust is so good but if you’re in a real rush then I’m sure that store-bought one would work as well.
There are not that many ingredients so be sure to use good quality ones, especially the chocolate. As well, if you are melting the chocolate in the microwave, be sure to do it slowly so that you don’t burn it. Burned chocolate makes me sad.
As well, for the crust I strongly suggest putting the cinnamon in as it add a really nice flavor that kicks up the chocolate. And to have a cleanly cut pie, I suggest you cut the pie when it is really cold. This helps get a nice smooth slice and helps the crust stay intact.
This is the kind of pie that is perfect to enjoy after dinner (or maybe before!) or to take to a dinner party. It is simple to make and would be a crowd-pleaser. It makes 8 generous slices but it is so so rich that I could easily see it being cut into 16 thin slices.
This was the first time I made an icebox pie and it won’t be my last. There are so many different varieties that I have plenty to pick from as well. 🙂
Chocolate Icebox Pie
Makes a 9″ pie
- 1 1/4 cups finely crushed graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons Double-Dutch Dark Cocoa
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups bittersweet chocolate chips, chunks, or disks
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate shavings
To make the crust:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the ingredients, and press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides a lightly greased 9″ pie pan.
- Freeze the crust for 15 minutes (which will prevent over-browning).
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until it’s lightly browned around the edges. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
To make the filling:
- In a small bowl, combine the hot water, cocoa, and vanilla extract and set aside.
- Melt the bittersweet chocolate in a microwave or in a double-boiler. Stir the cocoa mixture into the melted chocolate, it will resemble a pudding when completely incorporated.
- Whip the cream, sugar, and salt with a hand or stand mixer until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold the chocolate mixture into the whipped cream with a whisk or rubber spatula until no white streaks remain.
- Spread the pie filling evenly into the cooled graham cracker crust.
- Refrigerate the pie for at least 1 hour before serving, or until the filling is set and firm.
- Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings prior to serving.
Sourced from King Arthur Flour