Today is my daughter’s birthday as well as Mickey’s!
She is 2 and he is 87.
She L-O-V-E-S Mickey. I think it’s destiny.
I told her I’d make her Mickey Waffles for her birthday a few weeks ago in passing (as well as make a mickey themed cake!) and since then she has been proclaiming it was “Mickey Birthday Waffle” day. Every morning. ha!
I wanted to keep this waffle simple as I was creating this for Autumn to enjoy. Sure she liked the Gluten Free Banana Bread Waffles and Whole Wheat Apple Sauce Waffles but I knew simple always wins for the toddler mindset. The most I wanted to do was add some chocolate chips.
Anyway, I turned to the grand ‘ol internet to find a great recipe to use when I came across the recipe that the restaurants at the Disney Parks uses. I didn’t see anything say ‘official” but I found about a dozen sites all with the same recipe and tips & tricks. So I figured that would be recipe I’d use.
On several sites they mention using “Carbon’s Golden Malted Original Waffle and Pancake Flour” I didn’t have any so I turned to my trusted Amazon to get some. This way my waffles would be more like the ones they serve in their restaurants all throughout the parks and hotels.
Once my batter was made, I just needed to use my new Mickey Mouse Waffle Iron from Select Brands. This waffle makes awesome Mickey Waffles that are cooked to a perfect, even golden brown. It’s easy to use as well, as you just need to scoop batter into the face and ears section and it does the rest of the work to make an awesome,not fun breakfast.
They also have a Minnie Mouse Waffle Iron. I think I’ll have to get that one too one day. Autumn will just loose her mind!!! They have a fantastic selection of Disney related products from cake pops to toasters to ice cream makers. So fun!!!
I’ll have to compare this recipe with the real thing when we move to Florida and visit the Disney Parks. I can’t wait!!
Chocolate Chip Mickey Waffles
Makes 10 Mickey Waffles
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 Cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Cups flour, or use Carbon’s Malted (optional)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside
- In another large bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until light in color and texture.
- Combine the melted butter, milk and vanilla extract. Add to the beaten egg yolks.
- Add the flour, baking powder & salt. Stir to just combine.
- Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter.
- Spoon batter into the face and ear sections of the waffle iron. You’ll use about 1/2 Cup batter per waffle. Bake until steam has stopped escaping the sides of the waffle iron and the waffle is golden brown. Serve with syrup and whipped cream (for a real treat!!)
Adapted from from Disney Food Blog
While I received the waffle maker from Select Brands, all opinions are my own.
And now the GIVEWAY!!!!
I have another awesome giveaway from Select Brands!! We’re partnering up this year and I’ve been so excited about it!
We want you to be able to make these fun Mickey Mouse Waffles so be sure to enter to win this awesome Mickey Waffle Iron ($25.00)