Secret Recipe Club took January off while some rules, groups, organizers were updated. I really missed it that month. I love the fun of finding my blog in the list and seeing what someone picked to make from my recipe index. In this case I hope that Rebecca from A Dash of Thyme is happy to find my blog and see what I made. Pricer and I went through her recipe index several times and had a tough time picking. For a while we planned on doing Grilled Santa Fe Burgers but in the end we decided to make Fried Pickles to go with dinner we were having to celebrate the Daytona 500 (which was pushed to today because of bad weather 🙁 ).
This reminded us of our trip to Charlotte where we ate amazing fried pickle appetizers with our BBQ. Having the fried pickles last night with our pulled pork and cole slaw was perfect. The wine with dinner didn’t hurt but I’ll stay focused on the food… The pickles were perfectly seasoned allowing an extra level of flavor to them while still letting the pickle shine through. We just had them plain with our dinner but they would be great as party food with some ranch dressing.
- 3 whole kosher dill pickles
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup of pickle juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- pinch garlic powder
- pinch of onion powder
- pinch of paprika
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Canola oil, for frying
- Slice the pickles into 1/4″ thick slices.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg and pickle juice.
- In a shallow dish, combine the flour, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and ground pepper. Stir to combine well.
- In batches, dip the pickle slices flour mixture, then in the egg mixture, shaking off the excess, and then dredge in the flour mixture to finish.
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, bring 1-inch of oil to 375 degrees F. Fry the pickles in batches until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes, flipping half way through.
- Transfer the fried pickles to a paper towel lined rack.
Check out my previous Secret Recipe Club Posts:
December: Shrimp Sriracha Stir Fry
November: Vegetable Enchiladas
October: Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
Check out the rest of the reveal day posts!
Thanks for visiting. Please leave me a comment to provide some feedback. I appreciate all the comments I receive.