Yep, that’s right… Bacon Chocolate Chip Waffles! I read about this recipe at Coconut Lime. I knew that I had to make it for our 5 year anniversary (1/2). It’s not that it was going to be complicated or fancy, just new and indulgent. I wanted to step things up from the typical scrambled egg, toast, yogurt, or leftovers (yes, leftovers.. in fact I had left over chicken tika masala on new years day.) So waffles and some Bailey’s would make for a better Saturday morning.
Bacon is a big deal right now. In fact I gifted bacon jam at Christmas. I have not yet tried the jar I kept for us, but I think the whole thing is just hilarious. Bacon in a waffle was quiet ingenious. Plus the chocolate is a perfect complement to it- sweet and salty are always great together. I have had a bacon chocolate bar from Vosges in NYC.
The waffles were simple to make and came out really well. The combination of chocolate and bacon provided a great balance of salty and sweet in the waffle. The bacon added a nice smokeiness to the waffle. I would not expect to enjoy smokey in my waffles but it was great. Even though we clearly knew there was bacon and chocolate in them it was still so surprising when we were eating them. Def out of the ordinary, but def worth a try! My only suggestion to this is to use the mini chocolate chips, and I say that only because my waffle iron did not seem to enjoy closing with the regular chips.
Bacon Chocolate Waffles
Makes 4 servings
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups of buttermilk* 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup crumbled bacon
- 1/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Whisk together the egg, oil, vanilla and buttermilk in a small bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and crumbled bacon.
- Follow the instructions included with your waffle iron to complete the waffles.
- *If you don’t have buttermilk on hand you can make your own with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar for every cup of milk and let it sit for 5 minutes
Recipe from Coconut Lime
My cholesterol numbers are climbing as I look at these waffles !!
Everyone is eating bacon on everything these days. I think I am jealous as I can’t. The other day I ordered a tuna fish sandwich and the waitor said “with bacon”. What’s up with all this bacon ????
exactly! exactly why this was a special treat.
amanda (@fakeginger) says
How have I never seen this post?!?! I’m SO making them soon!