post from 1/15/11, pictures updated 11/4/16
I have a big thing for eggs.
I love them in just about every way they are prepared. They make a base or even addition to a meal. I often have breakfast for dinner.
My friend makes the best yellow rice with pigeon peas and whenever she shares it with me, I top my plate of rice off with fried egg(s) and a lot of hot sauce. I love egg drop soup. Bacon Egg and Cheese Sandwiches give me life. I could go on and on…
One of my favorite ways to eat eggs is in pasta.
I have seen simple versions carbonara with raw eggs on top which just look so gorgeous. So I gave it a try and I have been hooked on it since.
While pasta with carbonara sauce is great, I find that the way I like it best is with spinach and eggs. I sure do love my bacon but I love freshly sauteed spinach with pasta. Plus, this makes this a lighter dish.
But when you have an egg yolk sitting on top of a bed pasta things entirely transform. You gently pierce this egg yolk, allowing it to slip its way through the fine strands of pasta. The egg yolk graciously coats the hot pasta changing it from a simple pasta with spinach to a really good, simple dinner.
I tend to make this when I am eating dinner solo since it is a quick and cheap dish to whip up. Pasta is a great dish when you want to make something quick, but you should make is extra beautiful and the egg on top does that. Trust me.
Now, eating raw eggs should be done with care as there always is a risk of eating meat and eggs that are not fully cooked. I tend to prefer my burgers medium-rare so I am unphased with topping off my pasta with a raw egg since I always approach this with care. I use really fresh eggs from brands I trust and respect. But, even then using pasteurized eggs is the best approach.
Give this a try and you’ll be asking for seconds in no time!
Pasta with Sauteed Spinach and a Yolk on Top
Make 6 servings
- 1 Pound of spaghetti pasta
- 1/4 Cup of olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flake
- 1 Pound of baby spinach
- 4 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 6 eggs yolks
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta until it is al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in garlic and crushed red pepper flake. Heat until garlic is golden and perfumes the air.
- Add in spinach, salt, and pepper, and remove from heat. The heat from the pan will wilt the spinach down enough.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup water.
- Add the water, pasta water, and 2 Tablespoons butter to the spinach, place back on heat for a minute.
- While the pasta is finishing, in another skillet over medium heat, combine the breadcrumbs and remaining butter. Mix well while toasting the breadcrumbs.
- Divide pasta into 6 bowls. Sprinkle with the toasted breadcrumbs.
- Separate the yolks from the whites for all eggs. Place 1 egg yolk onto each serving and then top with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Thanks for visiting. Please leave me a comment to provide some feedback. I appreciate all the comments I receive.