You know you have a successful recipe when you bring it to a party and your friend basically demands for you to take it out of the fridge to serve it. That is all based on its appearance too. Well maybe he stole some whipped cream but when I brought this Apple Pie Trifle to a party a few weeks ago it did turn out to be a hit.
I didn’t take any photos to post that night so I had to make it again and this time I brought it into work where it was enjoyed as well. I felt only slightly bad for my coworkers since every time someone opened the fridge it was staring them right in the face. Alas, 3pm came (our unofficial snack time) and the trifle was brought out. It was gobbled up with the same vigor as a bunch of boozy friends. This time it was jsut funny to see the sugar comas since in afterwards. muhahaha!
Trifle is one of my favorite types of dessert. I love the simplicity of them but I really love how all the flavors mingle together as they are layered. Getting to see all the components is also a great visual tease. Besides my overall fondness for trifles I know they are a great dessert to serve that doesn’t require a lot of decorating and they are easy to transport so they are my go-to desserts for a crowd or for a party.
Shhh don’t tell, I have a secret… If you are the semi homemade kind of person this recipe can be easily be adapted for you. Simply use yellow cake mix, 3 cans of apple pie filling,and a bottle of caramel sauce for the trifle. The one thing I won’t yet you skimp is the whipped cream. You HAVE to make homemade whipped cream. But down that plasticy frozen stuff and take 5 minutes to make some amazing whipped cream. It’s worth the effort of dumping a pint of heavy whipping cream into a bowl and letting a hand blender attack it for a few minutes. It’s even easier if you have a stand mixer!
Apple Pie Trifle
*Serves a crowd*
- 1 yellow cake
- 8-10 large pie apples
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 brown sugar
- 1/4 granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint f heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup caramel sauce *optional
- Bake the cake according to directions, let cool completely. Once the cake is cool, cut it into 1″ square pieces.
- Peel all apples and cut into thin wedges. In a medium sized pot on medium-low, add apples water, sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix thoroughly to coat all of the apples. Stir occasionally to keep the apples from sticking to the pot. Once the apples are fork tender and the syrup is thickening, approximately 15-20 minutes, remove from heat and let completely cool.
- To make the whipped cream, combine the heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract in a cold bowl. Blend until soft peaks form.
- To assemble the trifle, put down a layer of the cake pieces in your trifle dish, 1/3 of the cake. Then layer the apples and then the whipped cream. If you are adding caramel sauce add it after the whipped cream.
- Repeat the cake, apple, and whipped cream layering 2 more times to complete the trifle.
Thanks for visiting. Please leave me a comment to provide some feedback. I appreciate all the comments I receive.