Brazilian Lemonade doesn’t actually have lemons in it. It’s all limes baby!
Of course, I picked this week’s Thirsty Thursday theme – limes- and I was struggling to find something that wasn’t already like something I’ve made, like the Raspberry Lime Rickey’s. But once I found this I knew it was perfect!
It does seem a bit weird to blend the limes but you really do get a lot of flavor from the natural oils in the peels. So trust me. Besides this is much easier than having to squeeze the limes! All you do is give it all a few pulses and strain it. So simple. Once I was prepped it took about 5 minutes to make.
So simple to make and the end result is a refreshing lime drink that is sweetened in the most interesting way from the condensed milk. I’ve had sweetened condensed milk in Vietnamese coffee and in Coquito before. Which of course reminded me that rum would be fantastic in this. duh!!
Amanda made Grapefruit Margaritas! Don’t they just look so pretty! I hate to admit but I didn’t enjoy margs for a while because of all that lime-y tang but I’m glad I got over it and now enjoy them left and right. Glad Amanda made these since I know they will be so perfect for sipping on while grilling in the summer!
Makes 4 servings
- 6 cups of cold water
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 limes
- 6+ tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk
- Mix the cold water and sugar together, and chill until ready to use.
- Wash limes thoroughly with a vegetable wash or soap. (This is important because to get the wax and pesticides off of the limes because you’re using the WHOLE lime.) Then cut the ends off the limes and then cut each lime into 8 pieces.
- Place half of the limes in your blender with half of the sugar water. Pulse 5 times, or blend for 5 seconds or so if you don’t have a pulse function. Strain the the mixture, discarding the lime peels and pulp. Repeat this process with the other half of the limes and sugar water.
- In the pitcher you are serving the drink in, add the sweetened condensed milk. Taste after you have added in 6 tablespoons, add more if needed.
- Serve immediately over lots of ice.
- This does not keep well so don’t make too much in advance. However, you can prepare the drink in advance by mixing together the sugar and water, and cutting the limes.
- Use this thin skinned limes for best result.
Source: Our Best Bites