Now that we have unofficially hit summer, I’m gearing up to get ready for some BBQ’s this year. We always end up going to quite a few but I’m hoping that we do our fair share of hosting this summer as well. (Maybe we should buy a patio set? eek!) So I’m looking to get creative with our summer fare this year. We have great, fresh meat, fruits, and veggies at our fingertips so why not have some fun with them?
That there alone is justification to spend plenty of time on Pinterest, no? Oh, man so addicted to that damn site! But it’s so much fun to find interesting recipes to make on the grill or to serve along side of your burger, grilled sausage, or chicken. I love giving anything a try, especially if it’s a twist on something. After making a wing sauce with apple butter I’m all of trying anything because you can be surprised with anything. Really, apple butter in a wing sauce? Trust me, so good.
Well, when Musselman’s contacted me again to work with them so I can try a recipe that would be great for summer time BBQ’s I jumped at the chance. I browsed through their recipes and while their bacon baked beans and their BBQ sauces sounded great I wanted to make something that I could easily share now. So that means I turn to something I can bring into work… which means sweet treats! This recipe for Caramel Apple Crumb Bar would be perfect!
These were so easy to make and the result was a really good caramel-y apple packed bar. They were a hit with everyone that had a piece. Don’t you just love when that happens? 🙂 I swear I’ll be making these again but next time I’ll definitely remember to grease the pan this time. FACEPALM! Other than that a total success.
Caramel Apple Crumble Bars
Makes 32 bars
- 1 18.25 ounce box of yellow cake mix
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 3/4 cup Musselman’s Apple Butter
- 1 egg
- 1 14-ounce package of vanilla caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons Musselman’s Apple Butter
- 2/3 of a cup of chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13×9 baking dish.
- Beat the cake mix and butter on low speed until the mixture is crumbly. Remove 1 cup of the mixture, set aside.
- Add the apple butter and egg to the remaining cake mixture. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Spread into the prepared baking dish and bake for 20 minutes, or until it’s starting to brown and set.
- While the crust is baking, combine the vanilla caramels, butter, and apple butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until melted and smooth.
- Combine the topping ingredients with the cup of the reserved cake mixture until crumbly.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the partially baked crust. Evenly sprinkle the crumbly topping over the caramel. (Some of the caramel will show through.)
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until the topping us starting to brown. Cool completely prior to cutting into 32 bars.