So I have been trying to ‘spice up’ the massive amounts of water I drink on a daily basis with slices of limes. But really it just makes me want mojitos and margaritas. Dang it!
Well, I outsmarted that bowl of limes sitting on the counter and ending up using them in the best way possible… Key Lime Pie! Sure, sure they aren’t exactly Key Limes but let’s just go with it. We’ll skip that obvious fact as we enjoy a slice. 🙂
This pie is just the perfect pairing to enjoy while watching this Saturday’s night NASCAR race at Daytona International Speedway. I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to make this pie that reminds me of Florida so much for this week’s Sprint Cup Snacks recipe, nor could I pass up a sliver of this pie. Ha!
The pie is so quick to make, I swear! And if you’re really pressed for time or patience then just get a store bought graham cracker pie crust. I won’t tell you’re secret. The filling is the best with the tangy lime flavor and the sweetness from the sweetened condensed milk. Oh man, that tangy/sweet combo is the best.
Don’t mind me as I dream about having another slice of this ah-mazing Key Lime Pie…
Key Lime Pie
Makes 8 servings
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce premium white chocolate, grated or finely chopped- almost like shavings
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup fresh Key lime juice or fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- whipped cream for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare the crust, combine the graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, salt, and white chocolate in a bowl. Mix in the butter and oil. Mix the crust with a fork until completely moist. Evenly press the crumb mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until it’s beginning to brown; cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare the filling, place combine the yogurt, lime juice, zest, eggs, and condensed milk in a bowl and then beat with a mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour the mixture into cooled prepared crust. Bake at 350° for 14 minutes or until set. Cool pie completely on a wire rack. Cover loosely, and chill at least 2 hours. Garnish with whipped cream prior to serving.
Adapted from Cooking Light