Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
And if I don’t have a good breakfast I feel off for the day.
I really try to make a big batch of oatmeal on Sunday nights that I portion out for us for breakfast Monday-Thursday. Friday is breakfast day at work. It’s yummy, nutritious, and filling. But if I don’t get my act together and not make the oatmeal then it’s a quick grab and go breakfast sort of week. Or I run into the cafe in my office building and grab a bacon, egg, and cheese. Sure a bacon, egg and cheese is delightful but is something to have as an indulgence, not something I can have regularly since my waistband will get tighter and I’ll start to feel sluggish from the extra fats and sodium.
So I’m determined to eat better breakfasts. If I don’t feel like having oatmeal that week then I am going to have smoothies. yay smoothies!!
Smoothies are so good and good for you. Well, if you don’t do junk them up with sugary yogurts, or even ice cream. gasp!
And this Champions Green Detox Smoothie from Shockingly Delicious the perfect kind of smoothie! I was enjoying browsing all the great recipes that Dorothy has shared on her fun blog to pick out a recipe for this month’s Secret Recipe Club post. I had picked out a fruity frozen cake but when I went back to get my grocery list I saw this smoothie and I just HAD to make it. I have been enjoying myself with all the pies that I’ve been making for my “A Year of Pie” Series (and thankfully still losing weight- yay breastfeeding!!) but I have to cut back on the sweets and start to eat a bit more healthy. Or at the very lease enjoy some healthy smoothies to off set the pies. ha!
Dorothy experienced the same thing after an indulgent weekend of visiting colleges with her daughter so she needed to reset things. I figured I needed to do the same so I whipped up this very smoothie.
The key to this is to boil the dates or they won’t break down. Do it. It’s simple and really works. I suggest that you actually prepare a few batches of the dates so that you will have them at the ready whenever you need to a little detox smoothie.
Enjoy this smoothie for breakfast. Or as a lunch or anytime you want.
It is just really delightful.
Champions Green Detox Smoothie
Makes 2 smoothies
- 3 pitted Medjool dates
- 4 leaves dinosaur kale, center rib removed and then cut into ribbons
- 1 overripe banana
- 6 ounces apple juice
- 2 clementines, skin removed and separated into segments
- Splash of vanilla extract (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 7-10 ice cubes
- Dice the dates and then soak in boiling water for about 10 minutes.
- While dates are soaking, fill a large bowl with hottest water possible from the tap (or boil enough water for the dates and the kale and use that), and submerge the kale leaves. Allow them to soak while the dates are soaking. After 10 minutes, remove kale from hot water.
- When ready to make smoothie, add the drained dates, kale, banana, apple juice, tangerine segments, vanilla and 7 ice cubes to the blender container. Whirl on highest speed for 1-2 minutes, until everything is well combined, bright green and thick. Add a couple more ice cubes and whirl again if you like.
- Pour into 2 glasses and enjoy!
Sourced from Shockingly Delicious
Check out all the other great Secret Recipe Club posts this month!
Check out my 2 years of Secret Recipe Club posts!!!!
Thanks for visiting. Please leave me a comment to provide some feedback. I appreciate all the comments I receive.