Take your party or football watching to the next level with these Fancy Schmancy Pigs in a Blanket. They are not your average snack. So much better with the tender, flaky puff pastry and the everything bagel seasoning on it!!
You guys the new football season starts in a week!!!!!!!!
I am super excited to watch some football and play around on the floor with Autumn as she crawls around and tests our baby proofing abilities. Since she is now on the move we are baby proofing this weekend in hopes that all of our books, bowls, plates, and vases on a bookcase that divides our living room and kitchen survive for us to enjoy at a later date. you know, when Autumn is like 15… ha!
Anyway, this is the prime time for us to teach Autumn about our beloved Giants. I went to a consignment sale this past weekend with my sister and found the cutest Giants’ cheerleading uniform but it was 12 months and by the time Autumn grows into that they will be at training camp next year. I thought it might be tough for her to cheer for them in the summer. ha! (Thankfully, I did get a bunch of great stuff at the sale, like a barely used snowsuit for her at a steal!)
So while she won’t have a cheerleading outfit this year we can all still enjoy the games. And while she enjoys some milk and kiddie finger foods, we will have these babies to enjoy. They elevate the typical pigs in a blanket with the quality of the sausage, crunchy wrapper, and seasoning. I swear by the Everything Bagel Seasoning as it adds so much flavor compared to just salting them.
Since you are buying a few packages of sausages this doesn’t shake out to be an inexpense recipe. However, just keep in mind that you are getting 72!! pieces. Since people are only going to enjoy a few of these each you will be able to serve a huge crowd. Or hang on to to enjoy throughout the season for yourself and family.
The best thing about these babies is that you can prepare them well in advance to when you want to enjoy them as they store great when frozen. They are great for snacking on while you sit back and relax while you watch your favorite football team pound the snot out of their opponent. 😛
Be sure to grab a bunch of these Fancy Schmancy Pigs in a Blanket and spicy brown mustard for dipping!
- All-purpose flour, for surface
- 2 sheets puff pastry, preferably all-butter
- 18 fully cooked sausages, 5 inches long, straight is preferred
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Everything bagel seasoning or poppy seeds and maldon sea salt
- Spicy Brown mustards, for serving
- On a lightly floured work surface, gently roll each pastry sheet out into a 12-inch square, then cut into nine 4-inch sized squares.
- Mix the egg and 2 tablespoons of water together.
- Lightly brush each square with the egg wash. Place the sausage along the edge of the puff pastry square. Roll up the sausage and gently press the exposed edge to seal it.
- Place the sealed edge on the underside of the roll. Brush the tops with the egg wash, then sprinkle with the seasoning. Cut each sausage into 4 pieces.
- Freeze the pieces on a parchment-lined baking sheet until firm. (When they are frozen place batches into zip-top bags or air tight containers and freeze for up to 3 months.)
- Bake at 400 degrees. Place the frozen pigs in a blanket 1 inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until pastry is puffed and golden brown, about 25 minutes. Serve warm with mustards.
Adapted from Martha Stewart
Post Contains Affiliate links.