I’ve been looking forward to Friday all week!!
Sure, it means it’s the end of the work week but what it really meant is that I got to share this recipe for German’s Chocolate Pie. Soo yummy!
Price’s birthday is Monday so I made this pie in honor of that as German’s Chocolate Cake is one of his favorites. I made him a German’s Chocolate Cake (< pardon the old photos!) for his birthday before so I wanted to do that again, but with a twist!
We both loved this pie! It’s such a good combination of chocolate, coconut, and pecans- all elements in German’s Chocolate Cake’s super rich condensed milk based frosting. The pie basically uses the same ingredients as the cake but with a twist.
When I was making this I was thinking it would be pretty dense from the sweetened condensed milk but it ended up being pretty light and fluffy, which is from beating the eggs very well when they are incorporated into the chocolate and butter. It still was really rich but the light texture helped make it feel a little less indulgent.
Anyway, since it’s almost Price’s birthday we are celebrating it this weekend. We always try to do something big and fun for birthdays so we have a trip planned. There has been plenty of research related to all the good things we can eat and things we can see. At least there will be plenty of walking to help work off all the BBQ!
Hope you have a great weekend!
German’s Chocolate Pie
Makes a 9″ Pie
- 2 4-ounce bars Baker’s sweet chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1/4 Cup unsalted butter
- 1 13-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 Cup shredded coconut
- 1 Cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 9-inch unbaked deep-dish pie shell (I used half of this crust recipe)
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- In a saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over medium heat.
- Removed from the heat, and add the sweetened condensed milk end eggs mix well to fully incorporate.
- Add the sugar, coconut, and pecans. Stir until blended.
- Pour into the unbaked pie shell
- Set pie on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 -40 minutes, or until the center is set while slightly shaken.
- Serve warm or after the pie has cooled. Store in refrigerator
Inspired by Easy Baked