French Onion Dip

French Onion Dip

I am all for French Onion Dip made from the Lipton’s packet. It is the best. It is classic.

But there are times when you really should treat yourself to something really great, and, in this case, I made the most incredible homemade French Onion Dip ever.

French Onion Dip-1

Like I said, the packet is great, but this homemade version just blows it out of the water. The 2 types of onions – vidalia and shallots- give it layers and layers of flavor. And once you caramelize them you really make them extra tasty and happy.

French Onion Dip-2

I have been loving my monthly recipes from the past few years that I have been participating in Secret Recipe Club. There are about a hundred of us that are divided into 4 groups so we can recipes from each other’s blogs every Monday. The general gist of it is that the blog you are assigned is a secret, as well as the recipe that you pick from their recipe archives.

Well, there are a few months every year that have 5 weeks so we have an extra Monday just waiting for a great recipe! The organizer came up with a wonderful idea of having people opt into that extra recipe posting and for having a theme for the recipes.

French Onion Dip-5 French Onion Dip-6

French Onion Dip-7 French Onion Dip-8

So for this inaugural extra recipe week I was assigned the blog Culinary Adventures with Camilla with the theme of “Tailgate Foods”. So I quickly began scouring her blog for the perfect food that you would love to eat while cheering on your favorite team make the big play, score a touchdown, and win the game.

I was so freaking excited when I saw this French Onion Dip recipe.It is the perfect tailgate food. The perfect foot to nosh on while watching football (or my favorite- NASCAR!).  I just had to make it. And I am so glad that I did!!!

French Onion Dip-3

The dip was a big bowl of creamy, dreamy delicious goodness that was basically irresistible. I had to put the dang bowl and bag of chips away- far, far away- so that I could stop shoveling in into my mouth. OMG.

Grab a bag of ruffled potato chips and dig in!!!!

French Onion Dip-4

French Onion Dip

Makes

Ingredients

• 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 sweet Vidalia onions, diced
  • 2-3 shallots, minced
  • freshly ground sea salt and pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 Cup sour cream
  • 1/2 Cup mayonnaise (I insist on Hellman’s)

Process

1. In a saute pan over medium-low heat add oil, heat and add onions, shallots.
  2. Cook the onions and shallots until they are caramelized, about 20-30 minutes. Stir regularly. Add the salt, pepper, and Worcestershire Sauce.
  3. Pour into a large bowl and set aside to cool.
  4. Once cool, add the sour cream and mayonnaise. Mix well, to fully combine. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours prior to serving.

Adapted from Culinary Adventures from Camilla

____________________

newsrcbanner

Check out all of the other great bloggers participating in this BONUS Secret Recipe Club post this month. Get ready for some delicious Tailgating Food!!

Advertisements

Mom to Autumn and Hunter, Wife to Price. Rabbit and Boston Terrier owner. Former Bostonian soaking up the Florida Sun. Home cook messing around with a little bit of this and a little bit of that. You'll find me most often with my phone in hand wearing my uniform of a Tunic with leggings rocking some Sperry's. A bit of prep mixed with bourbon and a foul mouth.
This entry was posted in Cooking, Food and Drink and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to French Onion Dip

1. bbqbastard says:

Sounds like an awesome thing to do! Recipe looks delicious too! Curious how it tastes! Have to find out some day 🙂

2. Kelly@WildfloursKitchen.com says:

I, too, am a French Onion Dip junkie! (I’ve made it homemade, too….BIG mistake….it has to be homemade now, and like you, RATIONED OUT or I’d want to eat the whole dang bowl of it!!!) Perfect choice for the SRC!! 😀

3. How lucky for you to get Cam’s blog. This dip sounds like it blows the store bought stuff out of the water!!

4. That dip looks so yummy, love your blue ceramic bowl!

5. Micha says:

This looks amazing. French Onion dip is a favorite of mine and I am definitely going to try this recipe.

6. lk529 says:

Homemade French Onion Dip is so good – I need to make it again!

7. Looks great! We love onion dip here. Great choice for reveal day!

8. Heather says:

Oh I love French Onion dip!! Definitely making this! Great recipe for tailgating!

9. Julie says:

French Onion Dip is a recipe from my childhood. Looks so good.

10. amanda says:

I’ve been wanting to make french onion dip for years – totally making this for football this year. It looks so good!

11. Oh. Em. Gee. This is what I have been looking for forever!!! I am so definitely making this!!! Pinned!!! And I have a pile of onions just looking for a recipe! xoxo

12. Tara says:

Oh yum. Absolutely love french onion dip. Yours looks delicious!

13. sallybr says:

I am also quite fond of the “classic”, but your version does take it to a whole new level…

I am a little late to say hi, but better late than never!

😉

14. bakedbyrachel says:

I need to make a trip to the store so I can enjoy this later!

15. I love that you did a homemade version!! This is fabulous!

16. I’ve never met an onion dip I didn’t like, but this one looks especially yummy!

17. I love the idea of making your own onion dip from scratch. But I love the idea of the recipe group you belong to even more. What a great way to support other bloggers!

18. Pingback: How To Make Your Own Nut Milk (SRC post) | I am a Honey Bee