Hip Hip Hooray!!!!
It’s my last Waffle Wednesday post for the year!!
I’ve posted over 50 waffle recipes this year! Not too shabby!
Plus, I still have over 30 different waffle ideas written down. One day I’ll get around to them! Can one eat waffles 24/7? I say YES!
Long ago I decided I would make Liege Waffles as my last waffle recipe.
Well, I always think of them as a fun treat so what better way to end the year than with something that is soft, chewy, sugary, and crunchy! It’s like a celebration in your mouth with each bite. You can’t beat the flavor from the yeast and the crunch from the big chunks of pearl sugar that are mixed into the raised dough. Plus they are typically served with caramel sauce or Nutella. Yum!!!
So one last hurrah before all our diets start in the New Year!
I’ve always had Liege Waffles at a Boston restaurant called Saus (I’ve written about them in the past in a Monday Munchies post). They are delicious there! I’ve always loved the crunch of them. They serve it with a lemon cream sauce that is the bees knees.
Now, I just need to plan a trip to Belgium to try these sweet treats where they are from. Wouldn’t it be tons of fun to get one from street cart and wander around while you munch away on it?!? Ah, one day!!
Big thanks to everyone who checked out my Waffle Wednesday posts this year. I really appreciate the support. xoxo
Makes 16 waffles
- 3/4 Cup whole milk
- 1 packet yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 3 1/2 Cups flour
- 8 ounces of butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
- 8 ounces of pearl sugar*
- Warm the milk so it is lukewarm, about 110 degrees. Bloom the yeast in the warm milk.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, butter, eggs, salt, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and milk mixture. Gently mix well to form a soft dough. Set aside in a warm place for at least 30 minutes to rise.
- Mix the pearl sugar into the dough.
- Preheat your waffle iron. Form the dough into 3- 4 ounce balls.
- Bake the waffles until golden brown. Be very careful when removing as the caramelized sugar can burn you.
- Serve with your choice of caramel sauce, Nutella, lemon curd, and whipped cream.
*I ordered the sugar on Amazon, but I’m sure you can find it in specialty stores. I just turn to Amazon for everything. But if you don’t want to deal with ordering them, then just get some sugar cubes and crush them up a bit.
Post contains affiliate links
Looks great! *-*