We’re a week into Whole30 and I am loving it.
And I might just kill you.
It all depends on any given moment
You know that part at the start of Billy Madison when Billy is drunk and hallucinates the penguin and chases it down? Well, that is me at moments when the lack of sugar makes me loopy and then I start to imagine chasing down ice cream sundaes with hot fudge. They are running away from me in Converse high tops, of course.
But the first week has been survivable since I made this the day before we began so we enjoyed these piled high on sweet potatoes and mixed into big salads. Carnitas will help you survive anything. Or at least a week without sugar.
I actually planning on making another batch again this weekend for next week too so we can enjoy it again for lunches and dinners. Shoot, I might even toss it in scrambled egg bowls with veggies and potatoes. Yep, definitely going to happen.
But I really can’t wait to enjoy it piled high in on warm corn tortillas, shredded cabbage, diced red onion, queso fresco, fresh cilantro, and salsa. Do you see me day dreaming over here!?!?
So, let’s all enjoy these Pull Pork Carnitas since tacos are the best thing ever and it’s TACO TUESDAY!!!!!!!!
Pulled Pork Carnitas
Makes 6-8 servings
- 4-6 pounds of bone in pork butt
- Adobo seasoning
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/4 Cup coconut aminos
- 1-2 whole jalapenos, optional
- 2 Cups water or chicken broth (complaint- check your labels!)
- Season all sides of the pork butt with the Adobo and pepper.
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat the oil until it just begins to shimmer.
- Add the pork butt and brown the sides, turning every few minutes to brown all the sides. This can take 15-20 minutes.
- When all the sides are browned, turn down the heat to low. Add the bay leaves, coconut aminos, and water. Cover and let simmer for 3-4 hours. Flip the pork butt over and check the level of the water after 2 hours.
- Remove the bone, trim excess fat and shred.
- Enjoy in tacos, burritos, salads, and many other delicious meals.