I am going to SLC to attend Everything Food Conference in just over 2 weeks. To say I am excited is an understatement.
Amanda and I have been planning on going together for months and months. We msg and snap each other every day but haven’t seen each other in years so this was a perfect excuse to get together and go to the conference. We coordinated our flights to arrive at just about the same time to meet up, dump our stuff at the Hyatt Place right next to the venue at The Gateway before running to the conference to check in to kick off the conference. It’s going to be awesome.
Everyone you have have been warned. Two over worked, over tired Moms are on the loose. We are either going nuts or are crashing in our King sized bed and catching up on sleep. Either way it will be epic. ha!
Anyway, have been loving all the recipes I have been making for this year’s Taco Tuesday series. It’s only May so I have so much fun stuff already planned for the rest of the year from quesadillas, enchiladas, burritos, salads, soups, and so much more! yum!
So chorizo is one of my favorite meats. I have been hooked on it since a Boston restaurant called Boloco served breakfast burritos with it as a filling. I couldn’t get enough of them. I even wrote about them before!
Burritos are awesome, but hash is a breakfast favorite of mine. At least it feels more like a weekend breakfast than a burrito, which I tend to just inhale in .2 seconds. I eat quickly as it is, but burritos are trouble. It’s like hello, unwrap, good bye.
Don’t worry I will be sure to make breakfast burritos for Taco Tuesday soon, but I hope you enjoy this hash this in the mean time.
I once made the mistake of buying the wrong kind of chorizo. It was quite tragic. I was rushing in the store one day and grabbed the Spanish version and discovered my mistake when I opened up the packaging. I wasn’t even thinking when I grabbed it. Ugh.
So I am making a point of it now… buy MEXICAN chorizo.
Sure, Spanish chorizo is good, but not right for this recipe, so search out the Mexican kind and you’ll be all set. And on your way to this awesome breakfast
I wish I could eat this every day. I swear once you try it, you will wish that too!
Chorizo and Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
Makes 4 servings
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Cups diced sweet potato
- 1 1/2 Cups diced green pepper
- 1 Cup diced yellow onion
- 8 ounces Mexican chorizo
- 8 eggs
- salt and pepper
- your favorite salsa
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Talespoons of oil over medium- high heat until it shimmers. Add the sweet potato and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the green pepper and onion and saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- Turn down the heat to medium- low, add 1 Cup of water and cover. Continue to cook until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add more water, as need.
- While the hash cooks, add the chorizo to a dry skillet, cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Drain the chorizo in paper towels. Add the chorizo to the the hash mixture.
- Cook your eggs sunnyside up or over-easy.
- Serve the hash, by topping off with 2 eggs and your salsa.