Woah What a week!
Price’s Birthday was last Thursday. And since I am a horrible wife, with a food blog, I bought him a cake from the grocery store. ( I know owe him 4 years of homemade birthday cakes!)Well, to prevent Autumn from taring into it at the grocery store I bought her a Red Velvet Cupcake as well. She enjoyed her cupcake when we got home. After her bed time, we enjoyed some diner and cake to celebrate Price.
Unfortunately, she had a 24 bug or the cupcake didn’t settle since she threw it up in the middle of the night. Getting red velvet cake throw up out of the carpet… not too fun.
We took it easy on Friday with lots of cartoons, toast, and pj’s. Which are the best kind of days when you are sick.
Thankfully, she was feeling great on Saturday so we made the trip over to Disney World to bring her there for the first time.
I’ll share more about that wonderful day really soon!
As for the Chorizo Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers… I didn’t want to share those!
Jalapeno Poppers are my favorite snack to eat while watching football. Nachos come in a close second, but poppers rock it. I love the spice! I even love the risk involved in biting into it when you think it’s cool enough and find out it’s not. Oh it’s a good burn.
I think stuffing jalapeno poppers with the traditional cream cheese is great but the added cheese and the chorizo really kicks them up. It’s good extra cheesy, extra spicy meaty filling. It’s like wrapping poppers in bacon but even better.
I used a corn meal and flour blend to coat the poppers which gives the popper crust a nice texture. Be sure to use a fine corn meal though!
So my tips for enjoying these poppers…
Wear gloves when cutting the jalapeno peppers. NO JOKE! I mean it.
Use a tall pot so the oil doesn’t splatter much. Helps reduce the mess.
The cheese in the poppers will melt and might ooze out a bit. Just be careful handling them then.
Get a cold beer. Or any drink you prefer. It helps wash all those delightful popper down. But if you think one is too hot, skip the water and get some milk!
The jalapeno popper is the perfect spicy bite! You won’t be able to resist them, especially with them stuffed with a meaty chorizo filing.
Chorizo Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers
Makes 25 poppers
For the poppers
- 25 large jalapenos
- 8 ounces of raw chorizo
- 8 ounce package of light cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 ounces of cheddar cheese, finely grated
For the Batter
- 1 egg
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 Cup flour
- 1 Cup corn meal
oil for frying
- While wearing gloves, remove the stem from the pepper. Carefully remove the seeds and ribbing from the jalapeno with a knife. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the chorizo. Break into very small pieces while the chorizo cooks. Remove and place on a paper towel lined plate to cool.
- Combine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and cooled chorizo. Place in a large piping bag or a large plastic storage bag with the corner cut off.
- Evenly fill the jalapenos. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees while you coat the poppers.
- Beat the egg and milk together. Combine the flour and corn meal together in a shallow bowl. Dip the chilled, filled jalapeno into the milk mixture, then into the cornmeal mixture, back into the milk mixture and then again into the cornmeal mixture. Coat very well.
- Gently place the coated poppers in the oil. Flip occasionally so it cooks evenly. Cook until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel lined plate to cool.