I bought an Instant Pot just after Thanksgiving while it was on sale on Amazon. It came quickly (thanks Prime… I love you!) but then I didn’t know what to do with it. I was scared to touch it.
Well, there are instructions but I didn’t know about what recipe to start with. Once my dad brought home a pot roast I knew that I needed to try that. I love cooking with the slow cooker but wanted to give the pressure cooker a try this time.
I got started with the water test to get the hang of things. Which was super simple thanks to some youtube videos (the ‘3’ mentioned in the instructions is Cups, not liters!). Then I made a pot roast in 45 minutes and then the added veggies just took 6 minutes. PERFECTION! Everything was so damn good.
Now I have plenty of things to try out in my instant pot like cheesecake, overnight oatmeal, soup, rice, and eggs. Any other suggetions?
Anyway, I have the BEST Sweet Potato Casserole for you. It is the perfect side for turkey, ham, pot roast, and much more. I think it’s really needed on your holiday table.
I have made plenty of sweet potato dishes and mashed potato dishes so I rock it when it comes to spuds, I know my stuff. But, damn, I outdid myself this time.
The sweet potatoes are super smooth and creamy. Plus, the cinnamon and brown sugar in the sweet potatoes make it taste like pie. The nutty, crumbly topping just is incredible in contrast to the texture to the sweet potatoes. And then to trash it up and make it even more epic you toss mini marshmallows on there. The world is a better place because of the existence of marshmallows.
But let’s be honest here, it’s like dessert on your dinner plate. There is a ton of butter (duh!) and sugar (super!), and that is what makes it amazing. GOD DAMN AMAZING!!!
Now don’t go trash talking me later when you’re pants don’t fit from eating a ton of this. I warn you, but it’s worth the risk.
Sweet Potato Casserole with a Marshmallow & Pecan Crunch Topping
Makes 12 servings
For the Casserole
- 4 Cups peeled, cubed sweet potatoes
- 4 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup egg nog (milk works well too)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 Cup flour
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Cups mini marshmallows
- In a large pot, cover the sweet potato pieces with 2″ of water. Bring the water to a boil and then turn down the temp to simmer. Cook for 15 minutes, or until the pieces are fork tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the cooked sweet potatoes, butter, and eggs, beat well. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix until smooth and fluffy.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 2 Quart casserole dish.
- Add the beaten sweet potato mixture to the casserole dish
- To make the topping, combine the pecans, flour, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon together in a bowl to make a crumble.
- Top the casserole with the mini marshmallows.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the marshmallows golden brown.
Post contains affiliate link(s)