This Southern Summer Tomato Pie is a delightful summer time recipe. Use loads of fresh, ripe tomatoes to create a scrumptious Southern dish that will WOW everyone.
The aromas of this Southern Summer Tomato Pie will have your mouth watering as it bakes. You can close your eyes and imagine how wonderful it will be to enjoy taking a bite of summer’s ripe tomatoes with a cheesy topping.
Post Contains Affiliate Links. Read my full disclosure HERE
This is the 2nd time I’ve made this Tomato Pie this week. It’s just so good.
Plus, I dropped the first one onto the oven door as I took it out of the oven. OMG! I was so annoyed.
I mean I totally ate the part of the tomato pie that remained in the pie pan and didn’t land on the oven door. Shoot! I was so hungry for lunch and it was damn good!
Southern Summer Tomato Pie
Tomato Pie is a classic Southern recipe to make the in the summer.
There are so many great tomato farms near us so we have great access to an abundance of beautiful, ripe tomatoes for much for the year.
When I come home with pounds and pounds of tomatoes, I make this Tomato Pie so that I can enjoy those ruby red tomatoes.
You start this pie by slicing the tomatoes and baking them. This step helps remove a lot of the moisture from the tomatoes. This is important so that you have an evenly baked pie and helps keep the crust crisp. Plus, this helps concentrate the flavors of the tomatoes making this pie packed with flavor.
While the tomatoes are baking, you also par bake the pie crust. This, again, help the crust stay crisp when you are making the pie.
When the par baked pie crust is out of the oven, sprinkle with the shredded cheddar cheese and return to the oven. This will help make a seal against the crust and the tomatoes, which is another way to keep the bottom part of the crust crisp.
After that, you just layer the basil and tomatoes into the pie crust.
The sauce on the top of the tomatoes is really simple. It’s just some mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, Parmesan cheese, and pepper. Mix all that up, spread it on the tomatoes, top with the remaining cheddar, and then bake!
Enjoy the long days of summer and a big slice of this delicious Southern Summer Tomato Pie for dinner tonight. Yum!
More Yummy Tomato Recipes
For the Tomatoes
- 3 pounds of tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
For the Pie
- 1 9" Deep Dish pie crust (can be a frozen pie crust)
- 1/2 Cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- 1 ounce fresh basil, ripped
For the Filling
- 1/3 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon of Dijon Mustard
- 1/3 Cup grated Parmesan Cheese (1 ounce)
For the Topping
- 1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Slice the tomatoes longitudinally into 1/4" thick slices. Arrange on a lined rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake the tomatoes for 25 minutes. Move around to ensure even cooking, return to oven for another 20 minutes. When done the tomatoes will be wrinkly and a bit dehydrated.
- After returning the tomatoes to the oven, ready the pie crust. Prick the pie crust with a fork several times. Then put in the oven for 15 minutes, until just golden brown.
- Take the par baked pie crust out of the oven and sprinkle the bottom with 1/2 Cup shredded cheddar cheese. Return to oven for another 3-5 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle half the bail on to the cheese, then layer half the tomatoes into the pie crust, then sprinkle the rest of the basil, and finish layering the rest of the tomatoes on top.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, Parmesan cheese, and pepper together.
- Slather the mayonnaise mixture on top of the tomatoes.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Let cool for 30 minutes, prior to cutting.
If you are using a frozen pie crust, thaw it according to the manufacturers instructions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6.5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 545mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 8g