My Bachelorette Party is this weekend. ZOMG. The wedding will be here before I know it!
I am not one for a lot of fan fare for things like that so it’s going to be pretty mellow. We are skipping the club stuff and party bus, and are doing a food tour in Boston. And I’m only doing that so my amazing matron of honor sister had something fun to do as I said hell to the no for a bridal shower. I can feel the hives just thinking of those words. ha!
I’m looking forward to getting to hang with my sister, family, and friends. Plus, the food. Plus the night in the hotel. Awesome.
And I’m also looking forward to Cinco de Mayo next week!!!!!
Bring on the tacos, margaritas, and chips and dip! But I say that you should start celebrating at breakfast! Like on your birthday you should have chocolate or cake. So why not have a fun Cinco De Mayo inspired breakfast?!?!
I made churro waffles! Delightfully crispy. Delightfully buttery. Delightfully sweet. It’s jsut delightful.
I adapted the waffle recipe from my Classic Homemade Waffle recipe. It’s a great waffle recipe so it makes for a great starting point for so many waffle recipes. So I just jazzed it up with some extra cinnamon and an extra glug of vanilla extract.
Churros are typically a small hand held dessert so I made these waffles into minis so they could be eaten similarly. I just put a bit of batter (about 1/4 cup) in the center of each of the 4 waffle reserves in my waffle iron. If you want to make larger waffles feel free to do that, just keep in mind the quantity of waffles will go down, compared to the 20 3″ diameter ones.
I toyed around with different toppings from a chocolate sauce to a spiked coffee whipped cream. Ultimately, I liked the idea of a whipped cream so I decided to incorporate some dulce de leche. You can make your own dulce de leche but I just grabbed a can of it and added a very generous scoop to my whipped cream to make this Mexican treat even more sinfully decadent!
Be sure that when you eat them you lick all of of cinnamon and sugar off your fingers. It’s kinda a must.
Churro Waffles with Dulce De Leche Whipped Cream
Makes 20 mini waffles
For the waffles
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the cinnamon sugar coating
- 1/2- 2/3 Cup butter
- 1 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 1/4 Cup cinnamon
For the whipped cream
- 8 oz heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 Cup dulce de leche
- To make the waffles, start by preheating your waffle iron.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
- Vigorously whisk the eggs in large bowl until fluffy. Add the milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract until just combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Some small lumps are okay.
- Ladle 1/4-1/3 cup of the batter the onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown.
- While the waffles are cooking, melt the butter in a shallow microwave safe bowl. In another flat bottom dish combine the sugar and cinnnmon. Have these ready for when your waffles are ready to be removed from the waffle iron.
- Quickly dip each flat face of the waffles into the butter and then put into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Spoon the mixture over to evenly cover the exposed side. Lift up and gently shake off the excess sugar. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- To make the whipped cream, put the heavy cream in a chilled bowl. Beat for several minutes, until light a fluffy. Add the dulce de leche and beat again until just incorporated.
- It’s best to enjoy the waffles warm with a dollop of the whipped cream.
In addition to this super yummy waffle recipe, I have these great recipes that would be great to join in on your Cino De Mayo celebrations!
Guilt-Free Cheesy Fiesta Popcorn
Jalapeno Cornbread Poppers
Mexican Style Hot Dogs
Crispy Tofu Tacos with a Mango Salsa and a Creamy Lime Drizzle
Spiced Black Bean, Grilled Avocado, and Goat Cheese Tacos
Key Lime Pie
Key Lime Pie Sugar Cookie Cups
Key Lime Trifle
Tres Leches Cake
Bacon Jalapeno Cornbread
Cranberry Ginger Margarita
Grilled Peach and Jalapeno Margarita
Layered Frozen Mango Raspberry Margaritas
Watermelon Agua Fresca
Jalapeno Popper Dip
Party Pico de Gallo
Texas Queso Dip