This is like deep dish pizza.
But cheesier. But meatier. But veggier. It’s a crazy kind of pizza. Get crazy with me!
Before we get into the pizza pot pie can we talk about the Scandal Season Finale for a quick second?
I mean, I can’t even. This whole show has had me on the edge of my seat since the very start. And this season oh.my. But this episode!! Poor Jerry. Poor Finn. And Olivia and Jake! The election! HARRISON!! UGH!!!!
Okay, back to the pizza because I can’t keep thinking about Scandal. Although I really will.
This Supreme Pizza Pot Pie made my day. (Well, until I gave Autumn some tomato and she went nutso for it. First real food (besides a 1/2+6 dime sized piece of banana I mashed onto a teether for her to try)!!!!!!! I was so excited she loved the tomato pieces I gave her. And was less excited about the dogs frantic high-pitched whine begging for the tomato I left on her high chair while I gave her a bath in the sink.)
I swear this will make your day too. It’s so quick to assemble and it is gloriously delicious. Change up your typical Friday night pizza take out by grabbing the ingredients for this and you’ll impress your family. Yep.
This is sooo cheesy. It’s kinda like a deep dish pizza but instead of a chunky sauce it has a crazy cheesy sauce that is studded with warm juicy tomatoes. But, brace yourself (!), it’s really rich so just 1 slice will do. But if you manage to enjoy 2 slice I won’t judge. I’ll cheer you on!
So supreme pizzas have olives on them. But, here’s the thing, I hate them and don’t use them in cooking, unless I kinda have to and can actually pick them out. So this doesn’t have olives in there, but feel free to use olives if you like them.
Next time I am going to do an all veggie version with some garlicy spinach and lots of mushrooms. And then I’ll make a Hawaiian version. OMG this is trouble.
Supreme Pizza Pot Pie
Makes 1 9″ pie, 8 servings
- 1 box of 9″ pie crusts
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flake
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder*
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano*
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley*
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil*
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 green pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 pound Sweet Italian Sausage, removed from casing
- 2 cup of grape or cherry tomatoes
- 4 ounce can of slice mushrooms
- 2.25 ounce can of sliced black olives
- pepperoni, approximately 15 slices
*If you prefer, use 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning instead of these individual ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Place 1 of the pie crusts into the bottle of the 9″ spring-form pan. Do not stretch it up the sides but gently press it on the side to keep it in place.
- Dice the pepper and onion, and halve the tomatoes. Set aside.
- Combine the cream cheese, mozzarella, 1 egg, and the spices into a bowl of a stand mixer. Beat together to combine.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage. Once the sausage is browned add in the pepper and onion.
- Add the tomatoes and mushrooms to the cheese mixture. Then add the sausage mixture and fold into the cheese mixture until completely combined
- Pour the filling into the bottom crust of the pizza. Place the other crust on top of the filling. Fold over the extra crust and crimp the edges.
- Beat 1 egg and brush over the top crust. Place the pepperoni on top of the crust and top off with more egg wash on top of the pepperoni.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before removing the sides of the spring-form pan and slicing.
Inspired by Oh Bite It!
You must be logged in to post a comment.