There currently is a heatwave happening in Boston. And I love it!!!!!
It makes me want to play hooky (even after the 3 day weekend!) to go to the beach. But I am a nice, responsible adult and I’ve been going to work instead. The moment when I leave I get to experience the nice steamy, sticky heat.
I enjoy every bit that I can knowing that the weather will soon flip and my teeth will be chattering while I wait at the bus stop. Even now, I’m trying to amp myself up for it. Knowing it will be our last New England will be bittersweet but see ya snow!!!
But no matter the weather, or the day, or the time, pizza is always a good choice.
At least, by making these pizza pockets in your waffle iron you avoid having to crank up your oven and get your already hot kitchen even hotter on days like this.
I made these Pepperoni Pizza Pocket Waffles using one of Krusteaz’s New Flatbread Mixes. I’ve used their Flatbread mix before to make some awesome pizzas so I figured that I could just make the pizzas in the waffle iron and be good to go. I assumed correctly! Their dough is quick to mix up and is really flavorful so I often rely on it when I need to get dinner on the table quickly. It takes about 2-3 minutes to mix up and then it just takes 10 minutes to rest. By then you have the rest of your pizza ingredients ready and you’ll soon be on your way to delicious pizza.
These pizza pockets closely resemble calzones so you can simply stuff them with your pizza and calzone toppings. I just love how they are versatile and easy to make. They would make for a great activity for a family to do together as everyone can make a personalized pizza pocket waffle and they cook up quickly. They even would be great for kids parties, like sleepovers.
Skip the take out. Skip the oven. Grab your waffle iron and make these Pepperoni Pizza Pocket Waffles. Quick, easy, delicous
Pepperoni Pizza Pocket Waffles
Makes 4 pizza pocket waffles
- 1 14-ounce box of Krusteaz Flatbread mix, with accompanying ingredients (water & oil) or 1 pound of pizza dough
- 2 Cups mozzarella cheese
- pepperoni, or other preferred pizza toppings
- 1 jar pizza sauce
- Prepare your Krusteaz Flatbread dough according to package instructions. Or, use regular pizza dough.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal sized portions. On a flour surface roll out one dough ball into a rectangle that is approximately 7-8″ wide by 12″ long.
- On one half of the dough, layer 1/2 Cup cheese and some slices of pepperoni (or other topping), leaving a 1″ border on 3 sides. Fold over the empty half and fold over the border to seal. Set aside.
- Repeat with the other 3 dough balls.
- Preheat your waffle iron. Spray the surface with nonstick cooking spray, then place 1 pizza pocket in the center of your waffle iron. Cool until the waffle is golden brown and the dough no longer expands when you open the waffle iron. Optional, add cheese to the top of the waffle, close and cook for another minute or so to brown the cheese.
- Remove carefully. Place on a wire cooling rack while you making the 3 other pizza pockets.
- Serve with warmed pizza sauce.
While I received product from Krusteaz for recipe development, all opinions are my own