Sautéed Green Beans with Lemon and Almonds- SRC

When Price and I were first dating he was working at a place close to Chinatown and we would often meet for lunch in there. We would often go to Chau Chow City down the road from his office. I would always get their “String Bean Szechuan Style” dish. A spicy dish that is so large that it would make up 2 lunches for me. String beans are one of my favorite vegetables so an entire dish centered around them was an obvious winner. And that is why I loved this recipe for Secret Recipe Club this month.

This month I was given Yasmeen’s blog called Wandering Spice. What I loved most about her blos is that she paired a song with each recipe. I think that is adorable. Yasmeen makes such interesting recipes that it was so hard to pick from. It sounds corny but I could see myself making most of them in the summer. I just equate flavorful spicey food for the summer. Strange… I know! So I’m sure I’ll be whipping up something like her lentil + fresh basil orzotto or her Chicken + Phyllo “Ladies Fingers”. I have not really explored cooking with lentils before , although I keep buying bags of them to stack up in the cabinet, so her recipes will definitely help me learn.

Yasmeen posted a simple Sauteed String Beans with Lemon and Almonds recipe around Thanksgiving and I was hooked once I saw it. I know that string beans are often associated with Thanksgiving but I think that they should be made more often. As long as they are not viciously overcooked and mushy. Please don’t do that to this lovely bean. And with this recipe you won’t do that since it’s quick cooking and very flavorful.

Sauteed Green Beans with Lemon and Almonds

Serves 4

Ingredients:

• 4 cups fresh green beans, approximately 1 1/3 pounds
  • 2 medium-sized garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/3 cup raw sliced almonds
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • pinch of red pepper flake, optional
  • Extra virgin olive oil, for dressing

Process:

Warm a large skillet over low heat. Gently toast the almond until they are aromatic and light brown, around 2-3 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.

Wash and trim the cut ends of the beans.
Turn the heat up for the beans. Once the skillet has gotten hot again,add the green beans and 1/4 cup water. Cover the skillet and let steam 2-3 minutes, until beans are just tender.

Add the minced garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper, red pepper flake, and rice vinegar to the beans. Sauté for a 1-2 minutes, until flavours combine and beans are tender (but still crisp). Once done toss in the toasted almonds and dress lightly with olive oil.

Serve immediately or at room temperature.

Secret Recipe Club

Check out my previous Secret Recipe Club Posts:

February: Fried Pickles

December: Shrimp Sriracha Stir Fry

November: Vegetable Enchiladas

October: Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars

Check out the rest of the reveal day posts!

____________________

Thanks for visiting. Please leave me a comment to provide some feedback. I appreciate all the comments I receive.

About these ads

Mom. Bostonian. Rabbit and Boston Terrier owner. Home cook. Scrapbooker. Sperry and Kate Spade addict. Never without my phone.
This entry was posted in Cooking, Food and Drink and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Sautéed Green Beans with Lemon and Almonds- SRC

1. Green beans for breakfast! :P

These look awesome. String beans are one of my favorites too – I go to Panda Express JUST for the string beans out of the string bean chicken.

2. bigbearswife says:

O what a great recipe! Green beans are one of my favorite veggies too!

3. Nicole, RD says:

Firstly, I absolutely LOVE your header/logo. Too cute.

Second, what is it about green beans and almonds that is just so elegant and absolutely divine? Especially when the g’beans have that slight crunch…mmmm :) Great photo, too!

4. how is that i missed this awesome recipe in the bloghop?! i’m a huge veggie fan, even more so when there’s some citrus involved + this sounds absolutely delicious. yum!

5. Lindsay says:

These look delicious! I’ve never thought to mix green beans with lemon – brilliant!

6. Lindsay says:

Abd the string bean dish from Chinatown sounds great, too!

7. Apeksha says:

I love beans! Almonds and lemon sounds like a great combo!

8. Apeksha says:

I love beans! The lemon-almonds sound like a great combo!

9. Rituparna says:

I love those fresh and crunchy green beans. Delicious !

10. bakingaddict says:

These look delicious! Love the addition of lemon and almonds.

11. I love green beans with lemon! This version sounds great!

12. Pingback: Sautéed Green Beans with Lemon and Almonds: I Am A Honey Bee | The Secret Recipe Club

13. barbszy says:

We love green beans but this is definitely a new twist on a favorite. I want to try this soon!

14. Hi! Thanks so much for your lovely intro to my blog, and so glad you enjoyed these green beans!

You’re right that this was originally posted for Thanksgiving, but we enjoy these year-round. Yours look lovely – nice addition of rice vinegar, too. So glad to have found your blog, and thanks again.

15. Pingback: Delicious and Flavorful Green Beans Recipe | Side Dish Snack | Easy Healthy Recipes

16. Pingback: Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream- SRC |

17. Pingback: Berry Brownie Torte- SRC |

18. Pingback: Cheesy Garlic Knots- SRC |

19. Pingback: Tropical Pork Pineapple Kebabs- SRC |

20. Pingback: Birthday Cake Oreo Truffles- SRC |

21. Pingback: Spiced Black Bean, Grilled Avocado, and Goat Cheese Tacos |

22. Pingback: Bacon, Mushroom, Onion, and Cheese Stuffed Bread- SRC |

23. Pingback: Chocolate Bourbon Truffles- SRC |

24. Pingback: SRC: I am a Honey Bee’s Watermelon Tomato Feta Salad | Without Adornment