We are still getting settled into our new home. It’s slow going since I am so slow at unpacking and I want everything to be in its final home when I unpack it, not unpack, move, move again, and move once more. So a little bit of everything is everywhere. Thankfully we are getting the kitchen under control. We’ve cooked a few things in there like baked chicken and some Kraft Mac & Cheese. Oh let’s not forget cereal, lots and lots of cereal. So whipping up this super simple dessert took 4x longer than it should have as I am getting to know the new kitchen and move around the pots and pans (that need to get hung up- once we paint the wall and then put up the rack…).
That being said, I loved picking this dessert from Kristin’s blog, Troyer’s Loving Life, for this month’s installment of Secret Recipe Club. I really love to make things from scratch all the time but there just comes a time when grabbing a box of brownie mix and box of instant pudding that works for me. And for a recent move and 3-day weekend- this was perfect. I did not use the cool whip that the original recipe called for just because I don’t like the taste of it. I made homemade whipped cream and folded that into the pudding. Also, after 2 trips to the grocery store in as many days I still managed to forget the condensed milk. I really kicked myself for that but I just could not get myself back in the car to go again for it so I just made the pudding the traditional way. My cake did slump over a bit as the filling was looser that what the cool whip and condensed milk filling would likely had been. Oh well, still tasty! Plus it was win-win for Memorial Day- red white and blue!!
Berry Brownie Torte
- box of brownie mix, with eggs, water, oil to prepare according to directions
- 1 box of french vanilla instant pudding
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- half pint of heavy whipping cream
- 1 pound of strawberries
- 1/4 cup of blueberries
- Reheat oven to 350.
- Prepare your brownie mix according to the directions on the back of the box. Pour into lined, sprayed 8″ round baking pans. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Remove from pans and set aside to cool completely.
- While the brownies are baking, prepare the vanilla pudding. Once set put back into the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks have formed. Fold into the pudding and pud back into the refrigerator.
- Wash and cut up the strawberries and wash the blueberries.
- Lay 1 brownie layer on a serving dish. Put half the pudding mixture on the brownie and half the chopped strawberries. Repeat with 2nd brownie layer, pudding, and strawberries. Lastly, add the blueberries to the top.
Check out my previous Secret Recipe Club Posts:
April: Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream
February: Fried Pickles
Jan: No SRC postings
December: Shrimp Sriracha Stir Fry
November: Vegetable Enchiladas
October: Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
Check out the rest of the reveal day posts!
Thanks for visiting. Please leave me a comment to provide some feedback. I appreciate all the comments I receive.