Sausage, Lentil, and Kale Soup is a healthy, hearty soup that will leave you satisfied inside & out. You’ll love the flavors and textures from the lentils and kale. A sprinkling of cheese and a drizzle of olive oil will make each bite a perfect 10!
Post from 12/12/12, pictures updated 7/7/18
I’ve been in this crazy cooking and baking mode lately. It feels inspiring and fun. I love it so much!!
I am sure to get burned out once the holidays wrap up, but I’m enjoying it now. At least I’ve already sat down and have planned a ton of new things to try to keep up my enthusiasm. I just hope to stick to those things, like I have pies on the brain.
Anyway, to keep things going at this point I have been flipping through my many cookbooks to find new things to try and actually put the cookbooks to use. I’m tired of them just collecting dust! Things have to change.
So the first book I grabbed was The Comfort Table by Katie Lee Joel. I considered several dishes like her Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip, Corn and Scallop Chowder, Chicken Pot Pie, and Cranberry Pear Crisp. In the end, I decided on to try my spin on her Sausage and Lentil Stew.
I just loved how this was so simple to whip up.
It took about 30 minutes of hands on cooking, and then the rest of the time I was able to get distracted with something else until dinner time.
My 2 biggest pieces of advice for this recipe have to do with the chopping and the size of the pot you use.
1) CHOP CHOP CHOP!! Be consistent in the size of the pieces you cut. Take the time to cut everything teeny tiny. You want consistency in each spoonful of spoon you enjoy.
2) USE A BIIIIIIIIIG POT!!! I’d say to use one of the biggest you have since the kale is so big and fluffy until it wilts and cooks down. It’s better to have room to properly mix it than have to swap it out to a bigger pot halfway through the process. No fun there.
Besides how delcious this soup is, I love that it is really affordable. The portion of lentils I used were just $1, the sausage was $5, broth was another $4, and the rest was just some veggies and spices. It works out to be a filling and affordable soup.
This soup manages to be hearty and yet really like from all of the vegetables all at the same time. Leave the sausage out the this becomes a lovely vegetarian soup that is sure to please.
I suggest that you serve it with some cheese and a light drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and you can’t forget a piece of toasted bread!
Sausage, Lentil, and Kale Soup
Sausage, Lentil, and Kale Soup is a healthy, hearty soup that will leave you satisfied inside & out. You'll love the flavors and textures from the lentils and kale. A sprinkling of cheese and a drizzle of olive oil will make each bite a perfect 10!
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 large carrots, finely diced
- 3 celery stalks, finely diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 ounces French lentils
- 12 ounces andouille sausage, cut into small pieces
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes
- 9-10 ounces chopped fresh kale, remove the tough stalk prior to chopping
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Grated asiago or parmesan cheese
- In a very large stock pot, heat the oil over medium-low heat until shimmering. Add the mirepoix (onion, carrots, celery) and bay leaves to the pot and cook the vegetables, stirring frequently, until very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, sausage, and kale.
- As you add the tomatoes, remove and discard the tougher piece where the stem was connected to the fruit and break up the tomatoes with your fingers. Pour the remaining juice from the can into the soup as well.
- Add the chicken stock, and seasonings.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, covered, until lentils and kale are tender. Remove bay leaves prior to serving.
- Ladle into bowls and top with some grated cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.
Post Contains Affiliate Links
[…] My Favorite: Sausage and Lentil Soup […]