Did you know that the fine folks in New England eat more ice cream than anywhere else in the country?
I’m sure you did know that as it’s one of those random ice cream factoids that gets talked about all the time. Like how can they like ice cream so much when it’s so cold for a good chunk of the year? Ice cream clearly is a summer time treat! Those crazy New Englanders!
Well, we know that ice cream is wonderful no matter when, it just so happens that it’s extra enjoyable in the summer when the days are hot and humid. It helps you cool down from the inside out.
So I couldn’t resist making this Chocolately S’mores Ice Cream to wrap up S’mores week that Amanda and I have been hosting on our blogs this past week. Because sometimes you just might have a craving for some s’mores, in the winter or the summer, and you just have to satisfy it with some s’mores in your ice cream!!
The ice cream starts with the most incredible, creamy, chocolately ice cream you’ve ever made. The key is the egg yolks. I’ve made plenty of ice cream before so I know that the ice cream with the egg custard base are the best ones. Don’t get me wrong, the ones without are good, but this ice cream is ah-mazing.
So you take this ah-mazing ice cream and then mix in more chocolate, pieces of graham crackers and marshmallow fluff to make it doubly ah-mazing.
The biggest, most important thing to remember about this ice cream is that it is not a quick process. This sucker takes some time. Just plan ahead properly as it’s really worth it. For example, make the base on Friday night, then pop it in the refrigerator to chill, on Saturday morning, you put it in the ice cream maker. It’s churned and you then mix in the fun goodies, and it goes back into the freezer to get all nice and firm. So basically you’re eating ice cream a full 18-24 hours form when you started the whole adventure. But it’s worth it. SO FREAKING WORTH IT.
We hope you enjoyed our S’mores week!!!
This ice cream is a bit naughty, but in just the right ways. Grab a spoon and dig in!
Chocolately S’mores Ice Cream
Makes approximately 2 quarts
Ice Cream Base
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 1/4 Cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 4 graham crackers, broken into small pieces
- 3 Hershey’s Chocolate Bars, broken into small pieces
- 1 Cup Marshmallow Fluff
- In a medium sized saucepan, whisk the cocoa powder and 1 cup of the half-and-half together. Cook over medium heat until the cocoa powder is evenly mixed in. Add the remaining half-and-half and the heavy cream. Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, or in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy in texture.
- Temper the cream mixture into the eggs and sugar by gradually adding 1/4 Cup amounts, until about 1/3 of the cream mixture has been added. Pour in the remainder of the mixture to the bowl. Mix well and then return the entire mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat.
- Continue to cook, stirring often, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon, reaching 170 to 175 degrees F.
- Pour the mixture into a container and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and pinch of salt.
- Place the uncovered mixture into the refrigerator. Once it is cool enough not to form condensation on the lid, cover and store for 4 to 8 hours or until the temperature reaches 40 degrees F or below.
- Pour the chilled mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s directions. This should take approximately 25 to 35 minutes.
- Remove half of the ice cream to a storage container.
- Add in half of the s’mores mix-in’s. Add the remaining half of the ice cream and then incorporate the rest of the min-in’s. Freeze for another 3 to 4 hours to allow the ice cream to harden.Ice Cream Base adapted from Alton Brown
To wrap up the week Amanda made these awesome Peanut Butter Bacon S’mores. These are every guys dream come true. Nevermind, they are everyone’s dream come true! The combo of the salty and sweet is the best!
And in case you missed our delightful S’mores recipes we have already shared!