I’m thankful that Thanksgiving is over.
I’m thankful that November is almost over. It’s been a rough month.
Nothing catastrophic went down but I am glad the month is almost over. I had a health issue at the beginning of the month that kept me out of work for a week and since then I have had to take it easy (I’ll share when the time is appropriate). So sitting on my butt after Halloween and now Thanksgiving is making me feel soft and fat with a lot of pent of energy to burn off. I have also learned that health care in FL is annoying as eff to deal with (the only reason I wish I was back in Boston right now).
Then there was the election which has me wrecked. I can’t even think about it or I really freak out.
So, I am looking forward to December with the hopes of getting out of my slump. And hopefully get clearance to work out again.
Anyway, since I’m trying to get out of my rut, I figure I’ll share with you one of my favorite soups.
I have made this more times than I have count over the years. I make it whenever I don’t feel like cooking. Slow cooker recipes are the best recipes for not cooking, but cooking up something great. (Don’t worry, if you don’t have a slow cooker you can certainly make this on the stove!)
The soup is so flavorful from the fresh ginger, curry, and lime juice. The coconut milk brings all the flavors together while mellowing things out a bit too.
I quickly learned to skip the jalapeno for Autumn. whoops! I just spice up my own bowl instead now. But if you are serving this to people that enjoy some spicy flavors, then add the jalapeno. I now typically add some samabal or sriracha.
My favorite thing about the soup is that it is Whole30 complaint (if you use a complaint coconut milk!). When enjoying it when we are doing different rounds of Whole30, we skip the rice or rice noodles that I typically serve with it. Bowls of soup with slurp-able rice noodles are my favorite.
Cozy up to a big bowl of this soup and you warm up from the hot soup and all the rich, warm flavors in no time.
Slow Cooker Coconut Curry Chicken Soup
Makes 8-12 servings
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken breast, trimmed of any fat
- 2 Cups sliced carrots
- 1 1/2 Cups sliced yellow onions (I used 2 onions)
- 1 1/2 Cups sliced bellow pepper (I used 2 peppers)
- 1 sliced jalapeno, optional
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried cilantro
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 Cups chicken broth, preferably low sodium
- 1 15-ounce can of lite coconut milk
- 1/3 Cup lime juice
- lime wedges for garnish
- Combine the chicken breasts, carrots, onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic, ginger, curry powder, cilantro, paprika, salt and pepper in a 5-6 qt slow cooker. Add the broth to cover. Mix well.
- Cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- When the soup is done, remove the chicken breasts to shred.
- Add the shredded chicken back in with the coconut milk and lime juice. Mix well.
- Serve on its own with a lime wedge. Alternatively, serve with cooked white rice or rice noodles. Enjoy!
Inspired by Baked by Rachel