Slow Cooker Coconut Curry Chicken Soup is an easy to make healthy soup that is so flavorful from spices and coconut milk.
When you are craving bold, fresh flavors in a healthy soup, you need to make this easy Coconut Curry Chicken Soup. It’s wonderful to make when you are low on time because it has little prep and is made in the slow cooker.
Post Contains Affiliate Links. Read my full disclosure HERE
This is one of my favorite soups to make and enjoy whenever I am feeling like I am in a cooking rut. The soup is so flavorful and easy to make so it’s on rotating in our house often. The flavors are bold so it never gets boring.
At this point I have made it so made times over the past decade, that I barely even need to think about the amount of the ingredients because it’s become second nature to make this soup. A family favorite!
Slow Cooker Coconut Curry Chicken Soup
This Slow Cooker Coconut Curry Soup is so flavorful from the all of the spices, fresh ginger, curry, and lime juice. The coconut milk brings all the flavors together while mellowing things out a bit too. It is the perfect balance of flavors that creates a joyful bite every time.
There is minimal prep work for this soup as you just need to chop some vegetables and trim the chicken. Keep the vegetables in a consistent size so they cook fairly evenly and it’s easy to eat.
Add all of the vegetables, chicken, spices, and broth to the slow cooker. Then you just set it for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
Before having kids, I would made this soup with a sliced jalapeno so it could have some added heat. They don’t like things very spicy so now I omit it. Instead, I just add it to the soup for a garnish, or I use some Sriracha.
When the soup is done, remove the chicken to shred it. When you add the chicken back in, you will also add in t coconut milk and lime juice. The coconut helps mellow it all out but while the lime juice gives it a bit of a fresh zing.
Serve with rice or rice noodles. Garnish with lime, sliced jalapenos, and fresh basil.
No matter the season you will want to enjoy big bowl of this Slow Cooker Coconut Curry Chicken Soup. In the winter it makes you feel all cozy but in the summer it still hits the spot with the fresh, fun flavors.
Is this recipe Paleo or Whole30 compatible?
This recipe is can easily be Paleo and Whole30 Compatible. You just need to be sure to use a broth and coconut milk that are compatible with the program. Some of the things to look out for are sugar, dyes, MSG, and wheat.
Instead of using rice you can enjoy it with cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles.
Can this be made without a slow cooker?
Yes! You can make this without a slow cooker. Instead of using the slow cooker, you just cook it on the stovetop. It will take just about 1 hour instead of the 4 hours it takes on high.
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken breast, trimmed of any fat
- 2 Cups sliced carrots
- 1 1/2 Cups sliced yellow onions (approx 2 small onions)
- 1 1/2 Cups sliced bell pepper (2-3 peppers)
- 1 sliced jalapeno, optional*
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried cilantro
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 Cups chicken broth, preferably low sodium
- 1 15-ounce can of lite coconut milk
- 1/2 Cup lime juice
- lime wedges for garnish
- Combine the chicken breasts, carrots, onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic, ginger, curry powder, cilantro, paprika, salt and pepper in a 5-6 qt slow cooker. Add the broth to cover. Mix well.
- Cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- When the soup is done, remove the chicken breasts to shred.
- Add the shredded chicken back in with the coconut milk and lime juice. Mix well.
- Serve on its own with a lime wedge. Alternatively, serve with cooked white rice or rice noodles. Enjoy!
Inspired by Baked By Rachel
*Omit the jalapeno if you don't want the soup to be very spicy. Instead use it as a garnish for those who want a bit of heat.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 266Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 1087mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 38g