Last weekend was Price’s good friend’s 30th birthday. To celebrate, another friend stayed with us so we could all go out on Sturday night. As the guys were marathoning through video games and episodes of Ninja Warrior, I bugged them about what to have for a lunch/snack because I knew it would be hours until dinner. I started by suggestions snacks and things seemed settled on a dip, then they picked buffalo chicken dip with chips and veggies. As I started to plan and double check they changed their minds and decided on buffalo chicken pizza.
I planned on using a pre-made pizza crust to make the pizza quickly for the guys. Then I debated on making them using sandwich wraps, similar to my Whole Wheat Pesto Pizza with Ricotta, Mushrooms, and Red Onions, but then I decided to go with sandwich wraps. I figured that thicken pita bread would stand up better to the heavier buffalo chicken. All that thought for some simple buffalo chicken pizzas.
The pizza really delivers an intense buffalo chicken flavor. Most buffalo chicken pizzas I have had don’t pack the same punch since they use some sauce on the chicken and on the crust. Instead, I made a thicken sauce with the sour cream and buffalo wing sauce to coat the chicken completely and have a thicken sauce on the pizza. Typically, the heat from the buffalo sauce is counter balanced with the blue cheese dressing and celery. In this case, the sour cream cuts the heat. I didn’t want to add celery to the pizzas so I added avocado to represent the green you typically have on the plate.
Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- 3 whole wheat pitas
- 2 10 oz cans of white meat chicken, rinsed or 2 large breasts of cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup of buffalo wing sauce, I prefer Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 4 oz of sour cream
- 12 oz part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 half of red onion sliced
- 3 oz of blue cheese, crumbled
- half an Hass avocado, diced
- 3 scallions
- Preheat oven to 425
- Split the pitas. Lay them out on a nonstick baking sheet. Bake for 5-8 minutes. They should be slightly crisp.
- While the pitas are baking, combine the chicken with sour cream, and buffalo wing sauce.
- Put 3 tablespoons of ricotta on each pita, spread out evenly.
- Divide the buffalo chicken evenly on the pitas.
- Sprinkle slices of onion and pieces of blue cheese evenly on each pita pizza.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the onions have shriveled and the blue cheese has melted.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then add pieces of avocado to the pizzas and cut some scallion on each pizza. Then cut each pita into 4 pieces.