37 Days until our wedding!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!
It’s so exciting and nerve-racking as we still have so many little things to figure out. Sure, Price’s suit and my dress are all set but we have to nail down a bunch of things still. Like we’ve been shopping for the Out of Town Bags we are going to hand out at our reception dinner, and then started to assemble them the other night, and now we have to decorate them with some ribbon next. Nothing too time consuming but just stuff like that.
It’s fun to plan it all out and do it to. It’s just that the time is getting squeezed, but it will all get done, right?!?! Okay, I know it will, but still ahhhhh!!!
Anyway, I’ll have some more in depth wedding planning posts soon.
In the mean time, I have this delightfully sweet and tart waffle recipe for ya. It’s finger licking good. Like chicken, but 10x better.
Ever since I saw these Lemon Meringue Cupcakes I couldn’t stop thinking of them. For real, they were haunting my dreams.
Granted, I was doing Whole30 then and some days I could have killed someone for some sugar. But in reality, they just looked awesome and I wanted them so badly.
Obviously, I had to make them, but with a twist. I had to make them into waffles.
Waffles are my everything right now. They are so awesome. I think about them all the time. You know, in the mix of toddle things, wedding things, work things, etc, etc. My brain is a jumble of delightful things.
These Lemon Meringue Pie Waffles are perfectly tart and sweet. It’s a great combination of flavors. I love lemon. It’s so refreshing. And lemon Meringue pie is so lemony. It’s the best.
Sure, pie is great. I love pie. And I know, I made over 50 last year when I did my Year of Pie posts. But waffles are so much easier to make. Plus, you’re basically having pie for breakfast. So that’s awesome.
Right now the most important thing is to make these. And for me to write vows, make favors, and order babies breath wholesale. Oh yeah, all that.
Don’t mind me as I stress eat these waffles while sitting on my kitchen counter going ‘la-la-la’ in my head. Care to join in?
Lemon Meringue Pie Waffles
Makes 20 mini waffles, 10 waffle sandwiches
For the Waffles
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
For the Lemon Curd
- 1 batch of Lemon Curd (3 Cups) or store bought lemon curd/lemon pudding
For the Meringue
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- powdered sugar
- To make the waffles, start by preheating your waffle iron.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Vigorously whisk the eggs in large bowl until fluffy. Add the milk, vegetable oil, lemon zest, and vanilla extract until just combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Some small lumps are okay.
- Ladle 1/4-1/3 cup of the batter the onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown. Remove to a baking rack on a cookie sheet in an oven warmed to 200 degrees.
- While the waffles are cooking, make the meringue.
- Set a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water (don’t let the water touch the bottom of the bowl) to create a double boiler. Whisk together the egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar, until egg whites are warm to the touch, sugar is dissolved, and mixture is frothy. Remove from heat.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer with whisk attachment, beat until glossy and stiff peaks have formed. Add the vanilla in during last 30 seconds.
- Serve by plating a waffle , scooping a generous amount of the lemon curd on the warm waffle, and then scooping the meringue on top. Using a kitchen torch, or your broiler, brown the meringue. Top off with another waffle with making sandwiches. Dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
Waffle recipe by I am a Honey Bee, meringue from Baked By Rachel
You must be logged in to post a comment.