Oh another Monday. I hate to see the weekends go. They always go by way too fast. Just 2 days to savor the time off from work, for all 3 of us to hang out, to relax or power through the to-do list… ah just 2 days. But the hardest part now is accepting that with every Monday it means Autumn is another week older. Gah! Stop growing up so fast!!
Anyway, today is the day for my monthly Secret Recipe Club post!
When I received my assignment I immediately picked out the Slow Cooker Italian Style Cheesecake that Dena had featured on her blog, Oh, You Cook!. When I read it I was intrigued about the idea of making a cheesecake in a slow cooker.
As well, I couldn’t resist an Italian style cheesecake. It’s very different compared to cheesecakes made with cream cheese, but just as good. Since it’s base is made of ricotta it reminds me of the ricotta pies, which always reminds me of my paternal grandparents. We’d enjoy ricotta pie during the holidays at their house in New Jersey. So this was a fun way to enjoy flavors similar to ricotta pie right at home.
So here is the thing, I procrastinate A LOT. So I made this recipe this weekend (and promptly inhaled it) since I waited to the last minute. (sigh!) But it was then when I realized that I didn’t have a 6″ spring-form pan. (ruh-roh!) I didn’t have time to order a 6″ pan so I had to improve and used for mini loaf pans. Then I figured out that only 2 would fit in the slow cooker. (ugh!) Well, I was going to do the cheesecake batches back to back but then I decided to conduct a little experiment and do 2 loaves in the slow cooker and 2 in the oven. Oh my gosh! Big difference! The slow cooker method was lighter in color and lighter in texture as well. I am definitely going to be making cheesecake in a slow cooker whenever possible from now on.
Go to Dena’s blog to see all the other wonderful recipes she has made. As well, she has a cookbook too! Umm, so cool!!! Something to check out if you are looking for slowcooker meals that are Kosher. Would make for a great gift for the foodie in your life.
Slow Cooker Italian Style Cheesecake
Makes 6-8 servings
- 1 (15 oz.) container of ricotta cheese, room temperature
- 6 oz (approx. 1 cup) ground almonds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds (for garnish)
- Place the ricotta in a colander lined with several layers of paper towels over a bowl or in your sink. Cover with another paper towel and weigh down with a bowl. Let drain for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the ground almonds and butter in a small bowl.
- Spray a 6 inch spring-form pan (or a similarly sized pan lined with foil or 4 mini loaf pans) with the cooking spray. Press the almond mixture onto the bottom and up the sides. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the drained ricotta, sugar, honey, eggs, vanilla, corn starch, cinnamon, lemon zest and salt until completely smooth. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Pour the cup of water into the bottom of a 4 or 6-quart slow cooker. Place a heat-safe trivet or 3 wadded-up balls of aluminum foil in the bottom of the slow cooker. Place the pan onto the trivet or balls of aluminum. If using the foil balls, press the pan down to leveling balls and pan.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 hours. Turn off the slow cooker and let the cheesecake at and steam for 80-90 minutes with the lid on, or until the center is firm. Remove the cheesecake from the slow cooker and garnish with the sliced almonds.
Sourced from Oh. you Cook!
Check out all the other great Secret Recipe Club posts this month!
Check out my 2 years of Secret Recipe Club posts!!!!
Thanks for visiting. Please leave me a comment to provide some feedback. I appreciate all the comments I receive.