Recently I’ve been craving sweets. So unlike me. Typically I’d rather have chips but I can’t get chocolate chip cookies or brownies OR a brownie sandwiched by 2 chocolate chip cookies with a glass of chocolate milk. Instead I eat fruit- let’s not talk about the # of peaches I’ve eaten this week. ha
But bringing me back into my salty carb loving self were these Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches. Fresh shaved steak, sautéed pepper and onions, and melty cheese on a soft sub roll… perfect! Plus then I couldn’t resist serving them up with some curly fries. Umm you just can’t have salad with a cheesesteak. nope.
This Cheesesteak is quick to whip up and would be great to serve this weekend while you watch the Pocono Race! A race in the great state of Pennsylvania, so I figured a cheesesteak was just what was needed for this week’s edition of Sprint Cup Snacks. Nestled in the Poconos, Long Pond is only 2 hours away from Philly so I couldn’t resist making a cheesesteak. At least I’m not dragging Gino’s and Pat’s fans into this since you get to make your own at home and don’t have to pick which dueling cheesesteak institution is the best.
Enjoy a cheesesteak and the race this weekend!!
Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
Makes 4 subs
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 pound shaved steak
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 sub rolls
- 8 slices of provolone cheese
- Slice the peppers and oil into long thin strips. Set aside.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When it starts to shimmer, add the pepper and onion strips and the garlic. Sautee the vegetables until soft and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Return the skillet to the cook-top over medium-high heat and add the meat and Worcestershire sauce. Stir the meat to mix and evenly cook throughout. Once the meat is done, add the cooked vegetables back to the skillet to combine.
- Place 2 slices of cheese on every roll, then evenly top with the meat.
You must be logged in to post a comment.