This was the first year I noticed that M&M’s had some great holiday themed candies. I picked up a few bags of each, including mint M&M’s, which I used in my Chocolate Chocolate Mint Cookies. They were a hit with the contractors for my project, so I decided that I should give cookie making a try again with another kind of M&M’s. I gravitated to the cinnamon M&M’s and decided that an oatmeal cookie would work well.
I started the journey of making these cookies by pulling out several cook books looking for an oatmeal cookie base that could be used with the cinnamon M&M’s. In the end, tweeting what I was doing ending out being fruitful since Rachel (Baked by Rachel) tweeted me back saying she had some great oatmeal cookie recipes on her blog. One being a crisp oatmeal cookie and another being a softer, chewier oatmeal cookie. I was looking for a chewy cookie so I went with the recipe on her blog. Perfect choice!
The cookie is soft, chewy and has nice cinnamony, chocolately pieces that dot throughout the cookie. The cinnamon flavor in the M&M is subtle but adds a nice touch to the cookie. I think the 1 bag is enough for the batch of cookies, but I can’t help but think that adding another 1/2 bag or so could not hurt!
I really enjoyed working with these M&M’s and I imagine that other’s did too since there is a Cinnamon M&M’s facebook page! I hope that you had a chance to try these since they are so good. I just grabbed a few more bags of these at Target for 30% off since it’s post Christmas. If you can’t find these still in stores then you should do a bit of googling for them. One place I found them was on The Candyland Store. I certainly hope they bring them back next year!
Cinnamon M&M Oatmeal Cookies
*makes approximately 3 dozen*
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2/3 cup of light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1/4 cups quick cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 9.9 oz of bag of cinnamon M&M’s
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cookie sheets.
- In a large mixing owl or stand mixer, cream the butter and sugars together.
- Add the eggs and beat until incorporated. Scrape the sides of the bowl down to evenly mix together.
- Add the salt, baking soda, flour, and cinnamon into the mixture and beat until fully incorporated.
- Gently mix in the oatmeal, milk, and vanilla extract. Again, scrape down the sides to ensure all the mixture is coming together evenly.
- By hand, mix in the M&M’s into the cookie dough.
- Using 2 spoons, scoop out heaping tablespoons onto the baking sheet. Do not crowd the cookies together.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes, depending on the size of the cookie, or until the cookie is set up in the center. Let cookie sit on the cookie sheet for 3 minutes prior to removing to fully cool.