This Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole is a creamy, flavorful chicken and rice casserole that is easy to make and is a great comfort food dish to dig into.
I love making this casserole because it’s so easy and it’s so tasty. I suggest that you double the recipe so you can freeze another to save for later. Yum!
Oh my gosh! There has been so much going on lately. Kemper has been keeping us busy with nice long walks at night. It’s great to get out
Plus, we are busy on the different community planning boards we are on in the city we live in. So many reports on downtown redevelopment.
I love being busy but it typically means that something slips. Most often it is what we eat since we run out of time to prepare something, so we just end up eating cereal.
To avoid that, I’ve been making casseroles lately.
Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
Instead of fast food, take out, or cereal, I’ve been making casseroles.
My new copy of The Ultimate Casseroles Book: More than 400 Heartwarming Dishes from Dips to Desserts from Better Homes and Gardens is being put to good use. It has so many tasty recipes!
This Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole is so great because it is ready in an hour. You can easily make the casserole,then go on a walk while it bakes. Come back to a wonderfully delicious dinner.
Plus, it’s a great freezer meal. You can prepare all the day up until baking it, Then you freeze it and enjoy it at a later date. Take it out of the freezer and put it in the fridge in the morning so it can thaw. Then you bake it for a few extra minutes. Easy peasy!
Start by sauteing the onion and celery in the melted butter. Once soft, you add the wine to cook for a few minutes, so the alcohol cooks off.
Add the Cream of Mushroom Soup and the sour cream. Mix well.
Add the shredded chicken to the skillet and mix just to evenly coat with the yummy sauce.
You can use chicken that you previously cook, like using a chicken breast from a chicken you roasted. Or you can get a rotisserie chicken and shred that up for this casserole.
While you have been making the casserole, the while rice has been cooking. Fluff the rice and let cool prior to adding to the casserole.
Transfer the casserole to the casserole dish. Sprinkle the top with shredded Parmesan Cheese.
Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. It will get bubbly along the edges as it warms through. It is done when cheesy top will get golden.
Serve with a side salad or roasted veggies to complete your meal.
Enjoy this yummy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole for dinner tonight! It’s a wonderful dish that is easy ti prepare and comforts you with every bite. Dig in!
What are the ingredients?
- Shredded cooked chicken
- Package of long grain and wild rice mix
- Yellow onion
- Celery stalks
- Dry white wine (or low sodium chicken broth)
- Low sodium cream of mushroom condensed soup
- Sour Cream
- Fresh/dry basil
- Parmesan cheese
What substitutions can be made?
You can easily make some substitutions to this casserole. If you can’t find the wild rice, then use another rice. You might just want to add some more seasoning to give it some flavor. Like, add some chicken broth to the rice.
As well, you can swap the Cream of Mushroom soup for a Chicken of chicken soup if you prefer or have allergies.
Can this be frozen?
Yes, you can prepare this dish and then freeze it to enjoy it later on.
I suggest that if you do that, you prepare it completely in a disposable foil pan. Instead of baking it, you wrap that up with plastic wrap, then another lay or foil. When you want to enjoy it put it in the fridge in the morning so it can thaw. Then you bake it for a few extra minutes. Easy peasy!
Just be sure to label it with the name of the dish, date, and the rest of the cooking instructions.
- 1 6-ounce package long grain and wild rice mix
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (approx 1/2 cup)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped (approx 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (or low sodium chicken broth)
- 1 10.5-ounce or 10.75-ounce can of low sodium cream of mushroom condensed soup
- 1 1/2 Cups light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed basil
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- While preparing the rice according to the package, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and cook the onion and celery until tender.
- Add the wine and let simmer for 1 minutes.
- Sir in the soup and sour cream until evenly combined.
- Add the rice, shredded chicken, and basil; mix until just combined.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes, or until heated through.
You can prepare this in advance and then freeze it. I suggest using a disposable foil pan. Wrap it well with plastic wrap and then an outer-layer of foil. Label it with the name of the recipe, date it was prepared, and cooking instructions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 349Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 562mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 20g