My friend Dawn celebrated her birthday last week so I’m dedicating these waffles to her.
We used to be neighbors years and years ago. I think there was a maintenance problem with the water in the building so she came over to check on us and see if we knew what was going on. After that we started to hang out, watch The Hills together,and go shopping at Old Navy. Perfect. We’d often get fried ravioli from Vinny T’s or crepes from Paris Creperie. The must get crepe was a Strawberry and Nuetella crepe.
Sadly, my shopping buddy moved back to her hometown of Philly a few years ago. I miss our crepes and Old Navy trips!
Inspired by those classic sweet crepes I made these Strawberry Nutella Waffles. They will make an amazing breakfast, brunch, or even dessert. Or for dinner for #BreakfastNight. I won’t judge. Besides, I’m determined to make dessert waffles a thing. I did make the Brownie Waffle Sundae just 2 weeks ago.
To up the strawberry ‘game’ I used 2 kinds of strawberries in the waffles. I used freeze dried and fresh strawberries. I made the freeze dried strawberries into a powder so there would be a hint of strawberry in every bite. Plus, it made the waffles the loveliest lightest shade of pink. Then I added diced fresh strawberries to give it more pop.
I think these waffles are perfect substitution for when you can’t get a crepe.
Strawberry Nutella Waffles
Makes 12-14 waffles
- 3 Cups waffle mix, and necessary ingredients per package (I used Krusteaz)
- generous 1/2 Cup Freeze Dried Strawberries (I purchased these at Trader Joe’s)
- 1 Cup diced fresh strawberries, plus more for garnishing
- Whipped Cream
- Preheat your waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Mix the waffle mix according to the package instructions.
- Put the freeze dried strawberries in a blender or food processor and blend until powdery. Add to the batter.
- Add the diced fresh strawberries to the batter.
- Scoop a 1/4- 1/3 Cup of batter into each waffle cavity in your waffle iron. Cook until your waffle is golden brown.
- Enjoy your waffle with a drizzle of warm Nutella, more diced strawberries, and whipped cream.
Krusteaz has provided me with all sorts of fun mixes to create waffle recipes in a collaboration of their #BreakfastNight and my #WaffleWednesday. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
This post contains affiliate links.
Thanks for all of your comments. I appreciate them all.