AHHHH I’m in Florida!!!!
It’s the best/scary/awesome all rolled into one.
Man, it was a big adventure to move yesterday!
Price dropped off Autumn, Bunny, and I off at the airport in the morning. Us, plus all of our 85 pounds of checked luggage! We said our good-bye’s right outside of security. Such a bummer, but we know the few weeks apart will go by quickly.
I had to carry Bunny and Autumn through security, because why not?! We had a picnic for breakfast at the gate. And then the real fun began when the attendant at the gate said that the cat carrier I had Bunny in wouldn’t fit. I lied and said I used it before and kept on going like a boss. Well, wouldn’t you know, it was about a 1/4″ too god damn tall to get under the seat. So I had to buy a Jet Blue one on board for $50. ugh! After that it was pretty much smooth sailing as Autumn behaved well and even napped on the flight. My dad picked us up and we got settled pretty quickly. I even got to make a Target run at night for things we couldn’t fit into our heavy, yet limited, luggage. yes!
Considering that we only had one silly rabbit related hiccup for the day, I call that a successful adventure!!
And then I went to work today! It was great day and I already love the new environment and people I will be working with. It’s been a whirlwind past 36 hours but it’s been great and worth it!
Anyway, I warned ya that I would jazz things up for this year’s Taco Tuesday recipe theme. Sure, I can make 50+ taco recipes, but I think it would be fun to make other related things, like rice, beans, soups, salsas, and other sides.
So I made this Chicken Fajita Soup and I fell in love with it. I hope you will too!
I love to make chicken soup but sometimes it gets boring as it’s pretty mellow in flavor. This soup, however, is jam packed full of flavor from the veggies, broth, chicken and beans. Plus, tons of great toppings.
It’s a delicious soup, but I love that it’s so quick and easy to make!
You can totally make this extra spicy, or pretty mellow. It is all about creating exactly what you like and you can do that this with soup. Want it a bit smoky-er? Add some chipolte. Or so you not like beans, skip them! Just get inspired by this soup and give it a try!
If you would like it really hearty, or to stretch it out into more meals, then feel free to serve with rice.
And for my paleo & Whole30 buddies, skip the beans and ensure your broth is homemade or complaint for the recipe and just don’t top with the cheese and sour cream. Ta-da! Simple as that!
Once I get settled again into this routine and at my dad’s house I am whipping up another big batch of this Chicken Fajita Soup!
Chicken Fajita Soup
Makes 6 servings
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced (preferably 2 different colors)
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14 ounce) black beans, rinsed well in a colander
- For serving: rice, shredded cheese, sour cream, fresh or pickled jalapenos, chopped cilantro, tortilla chips (all optional!)
- In a very large pot over medium heat, combine the oil and spices to create a paste. The spices will warm and will become fragrant.
- Add the garlic, onion, and peppers. Stirring frequently, cook until they have started to soften.
- Add the chicken to the pot, then add the broth. Cook for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken, set aside to cool, then shred.
- Add the beans. Then add the chicken back into the soup. Cook until the beans have warmed through, about 2 minutes.
- Serve with toppings and rice, if you prefer. Enjoy!