I have a good story about how awkward I am.
And how I really embarrass my husband.
Two weekends ago I planned on getting Autumn out of the house to give Price a break by swinging by the house to check on its progress and then go to the grocery store for a few things. She thought this idea was ridiculous so a quick meltdown later and he was in the car with us. We did the house stuff and then went to the grocery store, where things got interesting.
I typically get myself in trouble by climbing things in the grocery store… hello, short people problems. But this was just good old me talking.
You see, Publix has this thing where they offer to help you with your groceries to your car. Great for old people, not great for awkward people, like myself. So when the bagger offered that to us…
Bagger Chick: “I can help you with these to your car.”
Me: “That’s okay.”
Bagger: “You don’t have a cart…” (Price used a basket to carry the stuff in the store, it really wasn’t that much stuff, like 4 bags)
Me: “No, you see I hate the whole Publix thing with helping you to the car. It’s really weird.”
Me: “Well, then I need to make small talk with you as we walk to the car, and that is like the worst thing ever for me. I’d sooner die.”
Cashier: “You don’t have to talk to us. We like silence too.”
Me: “That’s just worse, walking in silence next to you while you push my cart to the car. That just looks weird.”
This whole time Price is staring at me with his mouth gaping wide as he pays. He was watching this whole thing, and I was the star of the show.
So I mortified my husband, but entertained Amanda with my snaps recounting the whole thing in the car as he shook his head at me, saying “Why can’t you be normal!?!!?”
I am loads of fun to be married to.
And for when you have those moments when you are saying something idiotic, foolish, embarrassing, just shove another one of these Buffalo Chicken Meatball Sliders in your mouth to shut up. Tastes better than your foot!
Buffalo Chicken Meatball Sliders
For the sliders
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 3/4 Cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 Tablespoons minced green onion (about 2 green onions)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon or so of oil
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Cup hot sauce
- 12 dinner rolls
For the blue cheese dressing
- 4 ounces of blue cheese
- 3/4 Cup sour cream
- 3/4 Cup mayonnaise
- In a mixing bowl, combine the chicken, panko bread crumbs, green onion, onion powder, celery salt, garlic powder and pepper. Mix well. Let rest 5 minutes before rolling into 12 equally sized balls.
- In a large skillet over medium low heat, heat the oil until shimmering, just 30 seconds or so. Add the meatballs. Cook for 5-7 minutes, turning regularly to brown all the sides.
- Add the butter and cook for 2 minutes or so. Add the hot sauce and remove from the heat. Move the meatballs around to coat them all.
- To make the blue cheese dressing, crumble the cheese in a bowl. Add the sour cream and mayonnaise and mix well to combine.
- Assemble by slicing open the rolls, placing a meatball on each roll, adding some blue cheese dressing, and capping off with the roll’s top. Wallah!