Guys, I have for you… drum roll please…
the world’s ugliest, most delicious soup ever.
Why is it that some of the most amazing things look so ugly? It’s horrible.
Case in point, this incredible soup.
Hot damn, the flavor is so incredible that you won’t believe your eyes.
A few things to note:
Take the time to finely chop the mushrooms. This took me 15 minutes. Ugh, but take the time to do it properly. FINELY CHOPPED!
Plan ahead for dried mushrooms to reconstitute as this can take as little as 30 minutes or a few hours.
You can over salt this easily. Easy does it. And use low-sodium chicken broth.
This soup is epic, plus only a few tweaks makes it vegetarian or paleo or Whole30 compliant. Use vegetable broth for it to be vegetarian. Use ghee and complaint broth for it to be paleo and Whole30 complaint.
See, I’ve just done a great job of selling this ugly soup to you. ugh! I swear, you need to make it and try how truly scrumptious it is. Then you’ll come back here and leave me a comment like “Hot damn, it was ugly, but that was the best mushroom soup I’ve ever had!” Go on, I’m waiting…
Chunky Creamy Mushroom Soup
Makes 4-6 servings
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 pounds assorted mushrooms, trimmed and finely chopped (I used a mix of fresh button and baby bella mushrooms, and dried porchini and shitaki mushrooms)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4-6 Cups low sodium chicken broth
- In a very large pot over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the onion until soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute or so.
- Add the mushrooms, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and a 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook under the mushrooms have cooked down and are about half the initial size, it’s about about 10-12 minutes. Add 2 cups of stock and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Puree half the soup in a blender or a food processor. Return the blended mixture to pot. Add broth until desired desire consistency is reached. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper prior to serving. Serve with toasted bread.
Adapted from Chrissy Teigen’s Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat
Post contains affiliate link(s)
Lane & Holly @ With Two Spoons says
Laughing out loud over here! I can’t wait to say “Hot damn that was the best mushroom soup”, because it totally sounds like something that would come out of my mouth!
Twitch Matching Service says
This looks so great filled with yummy mushrooms.
Ashlyn @ Belle of the Kitchen says
I can tell that this is super yummy; you’ve convinced me, girl! 🙂
I cannot wait to try this!!
Tony Spasiano says
The best Mushroom Soup I have ever had.
Looks very tasty! 😊
Dawn Logterman says
I made it today but used beef broth only because I forgot chicken broth at the grocery store and wasn’t going to go back out for it. It was ugly but sure was delicious! I used baby bella, button and shitaki mushrooms I’ll have to try it with the chicken broth but we LOVED it with the beef broth. So much flavor but so ugly!